We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been .....

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Never been .....

Hi all

Before I start I am reading the FAQ's, I have more pages open at the moment than my laptop can handle, but...

We've never been to the west coast and we've never been in "peak" season.

Planning a trip and really like the sound of the area so was wondering if I could get the general feel for Khao Lak during the last week of April?

We like it friendly but not packed, hence Koh Tao on previous trips. This trip is on a serious budget so any ideas of money saving ventures would also be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any info passed on

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been .....

Hi,

April is last month of the Dy Season and is usually very hot as the Wet Season approaches. However, it is generally sunny all morning with thunderstorms possible from mid-afternoon. The last week of April is after Songkran (Thai New Year 13th April) and Easter is very early so visitors in KL for those periods will mainly have left so it will be relatively quiet.

Many resorts reduce their rates from mid-April often to less than half those in High Season so an indication of your budget and type of accommodation you are looking for (bungalow, hotel, full resort), location (on or near beach, within walking distance of restaurants, bars etc. or prepared to take shuttle/taxi) will very much help with some recommendations.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been .....

Thank you for that overview, sounds like Khao Lak could be the place for us to try this time around.

In regards to accomodation we don't have a "type" as long as it's clean tidy and well positioned. My OH prefers solid/brick construction rather than wood/hut bungalows but it's not a priority (he's not keen on the creepies).

Budget wise it's not set in stone yet but it'll be around 1200 THB not certain what we would get for this but our wish list would be A/C, a pool and hot water, walking distance to the beach and some bars and restaurants in order to keep costs down.

From reading from the right I think Bang Niang sounds like our kind of place but obviously I am just learning so again not set in stone.

Thanks once again

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been .....

Please see my PM and I'll post back on here with some suggestions.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 14:02
Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been .....

Thanks Arandora I've just replied to your PM.

When I responded to the above on my phone I couldn't read my messages.

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been .....

Here's a list of most of accommodation in Khao Lak except for most recent additions www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
6. Re: Never been .....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak