We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bang Niang hotel choice.

Perth, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Bang Niang hotel choice.

Hi everyone, I'm hoping some of you can help me make a final choice. We plan to stay in Bang Niang for 9 or 10 days in August and have narrowed down the accommodation options to a shortlist of 2 - The Ramada (Lanai Deluxe room) and Fanari Beach (Beachfront Deluxe room )resorts.

We are looking for something clean and comfortable with a friendly laidback atmosphere in a location which is a short, flat walk from restaurants and a bar or two.

There are abundant reviews of the Ramada, but not a lot for the Fanari, although it sounds very nice. Any and all advice will be gratefully received. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#3 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Perth
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

Both resorts tick your boxes as far as distance from restaurants and bars that will be open.

We have been to Khao lak July/August for the past 3 years, mainly staying in the Bang La On area. We have decided to stay at the Ramada in a Lanai room for our first two nights this August. We haven't stayed at the Fanari, but it also is a good quality resort.

Someone may comment on a comparison of the two. Perhaps split your time between and you could recommend to others.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

The Fanari is the smaller of two FX resorts, the beachfront deluxe rooms being absolute beachfront, directly overlooking the beach towards the northern end of Bang Niang beach. The Ramada is nearer to restaurants etc., and is a bigger resort with more facilities.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

We stayed at the Ramada in May, it is fairly flat easy walking onto the beach and is great access to the main streets where you will find all the restaurants, bars and markets

Ramada is very very clean and very very comfortable, Im sorry but I cant help with the Fanari

Wish we were going back in August :( hope you enjoy who ever you decide to go with :)

Perth, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

Thanks tanmar, Arandora and lushdaz for your help.

I think we may go with the Fanari as the idea of a smaller place is more appealing for us and it sounds as though there are eating/drinking places within easy reach. To be honest, the walk to dinner is rarely the problem, it's the walk back that needs to be short! Are there are motorbike taxis, by any chance?

I will write a review when we've been to give the good, or bad news.

The last time we saw Khao Lak was in January, '05, driving from Ranong to Pak Meng. It obviously looks very different now!

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Ranong
Ranong
Ranong Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

There are no motorbike taxis in Khao Lak, mainly Songthaews (trucks with 2 covered benches in rear, carrying up to 8 passengers. To be honest there are not likely to be that many restaurants open on that stretch of beach in August. If you look at this map walagata.com/w/arandora/Bang_Niang_2010.jpg you will see the location of the Fanari with most of the restaurants that are open being on the beach road going from the Chong Fah Restaurant upto and on the main highway. There is a taxi stand opposite the Chong Fah and FX Resort (which is shown as "Bang Niang" opposite "The Beach" and is the sister hotel to the Fanari).

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Chong Fah Restaurant
Chong Fah Restaurant
239 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Perth, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

Thanks for the additional info, Arandora. Songthaews are even better, especially if it's raining.

I assumed that most beach restaurants would probably be closed at the time we plan to visit. I printed out the map you give the link for when I started checking out accommodation options. Thanks, it's very informative. It does seem to show a reasonable number of restaurants on the sois, as well as those on the main road and on the highway. I'm hoping there may be a few of those open despite the season?

Once again, many thanks for your advice.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

Jusat to give you an idea of taxi rates, here's a picture of those at the rank near the FX Resort that I mentioned taken earlier this year in January. You may be able to haggle them down if it isn't too busy! www.walagata.com/w/arandora/Taxi_Rates.jpg

HK
Level Contributor
855 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

The north side of the beach road is a terrible mess no helped with the recent storms. King Canute seems to be the manager of most of these resorts (including FX) and is trying to hold back the tide with huge walls of concrete, sandbags and rocks.

The Ayara, my choice, next to the "Castle de flora" still has proper beach front. It`s a little bit further from the beach road but just along the beach to the north is a beach restaurant, forget the name but might be open.

The south of the beach road had it`s share of rocks and sandbags but not as abundant.

I`ll look out a few photos from last month, hopefully it`s improved since then!

Mentioned in this post
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa
Ayara Kamala Resort & Spa
516 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

The erosion of Bang Niang Beach is a legacy of the Tsunami and although developers were told not to rebuild within a certain distance to the highest High Tide mark, with hindsight (perfect vision!) that line should have been drawn higher still. So each Wet Season as the erosion continues more drastic measures have to be taken. Unsightly? yes! but absolutely necessary from a safety point of view.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Perth, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bang Niang hotel choice.

Thanks again Arandora and also Jamie WHk for your help.

Unfortunately beach erosion seems to be a more frequent problem in many areas but remediation must take precedence over aesthetics.

I am pleased to hear that there is some room for negotiation with the songthaew drivers, unlike the situation in Phuket with set prices at extortionate levels.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak