We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jbr June 2012

australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
12 reviews
Jbr June 2012

We stayed for 6 nights at the Nang Thong Beach resort from 19th June and had a great time. We had reserved a beach front bungalow and were very happy with the layout, especially the outdoor shower. Breakfast was not included, but with the low cost of accommodation this did not present too much problem. We had a few breakfasts at NTBR and really enjoyed the English Breakfast with poached eggs. We also went a few times to the Green Beach resort nearby as their English breakfast was a bargain at half the price.

We lucked in to 6 days of great weather and spent our time lazily, with early morning beach walks, breakfast, swim in pool and then lazing on the verandah, munching on drinks and snacks we had bought from the supermarket at the top of the street. Fortunately the pool was still clean and clear and such a perfect temperature! Later we would venture up to the town to negotiate deals on t-shirts, boxer shirts, polos, DVDs etc. Then onto cocktails, dinner and the not-to-be missed banana or mango pancakes. The pancake lady is not to be missed and her pancakes were a real highlight of our trip!

Having tried several times to go to recommended restaurants only to find them closed for the low season, we explored on our own instead, trying a different place each night. One of our nicest meals was also our cheapest at 200 baht including a beer each from one of the places the locals frequent heading north towards Bang Niang. I also enjoyed my meal at 9, but OH thought he reacted to MSG afterwards. We couldn’t say if it came from the restaurant or his coconut pancake which noticed the pancake lady sprinkling an unknown white powder on.

We headed to Bang Niang market and spent a few hours checking all the stalls out. It was definitely worth a visit. We found a wonderful cocktail place just before we left and enjoyed fantastic cocktails (mine was a strawberry daiquiri Yum!) for around 100 baht each. Definitely will go back there next time. OH says he has a picture with their name in it.

On our beach strolls we checked out a number of the other resorts in both directions and were perfectly happy to be staying at NTBR! To the north, we went past the Ramada, The Chong Fa, and the building site for the new Sands complex. To the south, we went past NTBR2 and a number of others!

All too soon it was time to move down to Phuket.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Jbr June 2012

Thanks for the JBR. Great that you enjoyed Khao Lak and good weather with it.

australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Jbr June 2012

I would like to thank you Arandora and the other regular TA posters as I would not have been able to put our trip together without all your advice. I guess there would be a lot like me who do a lot of research through TA without much posting in the beginning, but feel more confident in their choices because of the reviews and advice. This was our second visit to Thailand, having visited Chiang Mai last year with our kids. This was a different adventure as OH had been studying for 12 months and we just needed R&R so left the kids behind!

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Jbr June 2012

Really pleased you had a great time in Khao LAK another who loves NTBR1 we are just sad the pool is not operational =well it isbut I would definately not swim in a green pool that has no chemical treatment in it.

We are in Khao Sok at the moment but heading back to Khao Lak in the morning. The river came up so quickly last night they were considering evacuating, Thankgoodness it stopped raining at midnight.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
4. Re: Jbr June 2012

Really glad you enjoyed Khao Lak, it's also one of our favourite places in Thailand, I'm looking forward to the Phuket part.

australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Jbr June 2012

Apologies if I gave caused any confusion! Seniors moment and wrote beach instead of bay!! We stayed at Nang Thong BAY resort =NTBR1. I have posted a review on the correct one!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
1 review
6. Re: Jbr June 2012

Seniors moments can strike any time - especially when a holiday in Thailand is involved. :-) Happy to see another vote for Nang Thong/Bang La On in the green season.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Jbr June 2012

Loved reading this :) so glad you had a great time!

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Jbr June 2012

Must be an aussie thing...Khao lak in low season/relaxing on the verandah, no matter what the weather and making the most of opportunities as they arrive.

We still say that low season in K.L. is better than winter south of Perth.

So glad you enjoyed K.L. and found your own places to eat.

The regularly discussed restaurants are a good start, but it's good to find your own and recommend to others.

9. Re: Jbr June 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2013, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak