We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small children - Le Meridien or JW Marriott?

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Small children - Le Meridien or JW Marriott?

I'm hoping someone can give me an opinion on which of these to choose as I have read through the reviews and am still unsure. Both have excellent deals going - the Scoopon deal for JW(Pool Access family room) and the Summer Super Saver at Le Meridien (we would be booking the 1br Premium Pool Villa). We are travelling 31 July-5 August (and will then have 3 nights at the Indigo Pearl on Phuket).

We have 3 small kids - 6, 4 and 6 months. How do the kids clubs compare for the bigger 2 children ie., are they both fully supervised by trained staff? And will they even be open in the green season? I am mindful if we get there and it rains for days we need something to keep the kids amused.

Are these resorts flat or do they have lots of steps? Our youngest will be in a pram so we don't really want to be having to lift it up and down stairs all the time. I am aware that beach swimming is out, and that most likely there will be no beach restaurants at either of these resorts (is this correct?) so we will basically be stuck eating in the hotel.

Which hotel is closer to the main town where the market is? And do either of these resorts run a daytime shuttle?

So many questions,we basically want a nice relaxing family holiday, any advice would be appreciated :)

Edited: 03 July 2012, 09:16
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small children - Le Meridien or JW Marriott?

JWM is nearer to main townships of Bang Niang, where the market is (10 mins) and Bang La On where most restaurants, shops and bars open are (15 mins) compared with Le M (20 and 25 mins respectively). There is likely to be more beach restaurants open near JWM than Le M.

IMO the Children's Club/facilities at Le M are better than those at the JWM. The Le M has a separate large pool with lazy river and small pool for tinies plus a fully supervised Kids' Club.

There are steps from Reception down to ground floor rooms at both so no real difference there between the rooms you are considering albeit the pool villa at Le M is regarded as a higher standard than the pool access at JWM.

The shuttle at Le M runs only in the evening but easy to book taxis at Rim Lay on the beach (if open) or small restaurant just outside main entrance. Taxis park up near entrance to JWM where there are a couple of restaurants in the small shopping plaza.

Melbourne, Australia
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Small children - Le Meridien or JW Marriott?

Thanks very much for your reply. My instincts were Le M and you've just confirmed it for me. Can't wait, only 3 weeks to go!

3. Re: Small children - Le Meridien or JW Marriott?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 14:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak