We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak - late July

Broome, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Khao Lak - late July

Hi, we are headed to Khao Lak to stay at the Ramada Resort mid-late July for a week. I have heard that you can not swim at the beach and that many restaurants etc may be closed for the wet season. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of things to do during this time including day trips, shopping etc. Also, is organising a day trip to phi phi island possible or any other nice islands? Thanks for your help :)

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
66 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak - late July

I donot agree that you cant swim at the beach ... you just have to be a little cautious. W e are going next week and we will be swimming at the beach unless the waves and the beach tell us differently. I think Australians have a far better beach sense. It is easy to book trips once you are there just go for a walk along the shop areas. For a weeks stay you will still find plently of places to eat out.

Broome, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2. Re: Khao Lak - late July

Thank you. Sounds great. I've been keeping an eye on the weather and its looking quite stormy / rainy! Hopefully it's like the wet seasons that we get at home where its not raining all day and just intermittent. I'm sure it will be nice and relaxing anyway :) Enjoy your holiday!

australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak - late July

We have been in khao lak for the last 6 days. We would not have considered swimming when we arrived, but the weather has improved each day and the sea has calmed. We swam today (as did many others) with no concerns. We did drift a little, but we're keeping an eye out for this. I did not go too deep either. As for weather, it has only rained once and that was in the middle of the night. The days have all been perfect. Hope you are as lucky with the weather.

Broome, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
4. Re: Khao Lak - late July

Sounds great! Thank you :) glad the weather has been nice for you! Is there many shops or restaurants / bars around the ramada resort? Can't wait to get there!!

australia
Level Contributor
240 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak - late July

We stayed at nang thong beach resort and only ventured near ramada twice. We walked past it on our beach walk. All of the beach restaurants near ramada were closed. Closer to nang thong the green beach restaurant was still open for breakfast, but not much else.

We went to bang niang markets which are close to ramada. There seems to be a few restaurants open, but we ate mostly around khao lak. All of the meals we had were great, although we found the curries a bit oily.

Don't worry. You will have a great time no matter the weather or the winter closures. There are still plenty of restaurants open to give you choice. The markets even give you better price because of low season!!

6. Re: Khao Lak - late July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak