We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in September at khao lak

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling in September at khao lak

Me and the better half are on our way to Le Meridian for 13 nights in September (only times we could get off work together) and were wondering if there were any decent snorkelling spots available at the time of year.

We understand that the Similan Islands are shut until November, but aren't sure if there are any other areas available.

Also, as something totally un-related to snorkelling, I am allergic to mushrooms and still don't know how prevalent they are in Thai cooking (I will be finding out how to say "no mushrooms please" and also print off a card saying I am allergic in Thai).

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in September at khao lak

No snorkelling at any of the popular spots from Khao Lak, the Similans, Surins or Koh Tachai from May to beginning of November and there are no worthwhile snorkeling from the beach anywhere along the coast at any time due to absence of in-shore reef and constant movement of the ocean. Nearest would be Maya Bay (Phi Phi) or Phang Nga Bay, both going from Phuket. Local tour shops may offer them if available.

Mushrooms are not an ever present in Thai cooking This is how Google translates "No mushrooms please" into Thai

เห็ดยังไม่มีการโปรด

- equally it might say "No s*x please we are British. LOL I think it would be more reliable to ask one of Reception staff at Le M to print it out properly for you.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Maya Bay
Maya Bay
8,298 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,596 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in September at khao lak

Cheers for the info, we just got one of those "we need to really book this now" deals so didn't have time to fully investigate. Sure we'll love it though even without the snorkelling.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in September at khao lak

I am sure you will enjoy Khao Lak and Le M nevertheless. Khao Sok National Park is well worth a visit at any time but particularly in the Wet Season when a canoe ride on the river in full flow is more exciting than one in the Dry Season when our paddler had to get out and push as the current was so slow! Cheow Lan Lake an hour further than that is a great experience at any time of year.

You can get good deals on tours at the excellent Rim Lay Restaurant which is about 200 metres to the left from Le M on the beach. You can also book taxis there instead of using the hotel shuttle and you can get a taxi at the restaurant to the right just outside the main gate to the main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Lay Restaurant
Lay Restaurant
615 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
4. Re: Snorkeling in September at khao lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:12
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations