We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
71 reviews
Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

I looked on Unseen Khao Laks web page and wondered if the elephants they use for trekking are properly looked after. Then did a search and found they are only an agency. Does this mean you can end up going with any outfit and you dont know how the animals are treated. Has anyone booked the tour that is on their web page including the elephant trekking, waterfall, lunch at white sands and the turtle hatchery.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

Unless you go direct to an elephant trek centre, you are likely to book through an agency and it will depend which one of the various camps they use. The pictures on the Unseen website seem to me to be either Khao Lak Elephant Trek which is on the highway just outside Bang Niang and also features a snake and monkey show with the trek taking you down to the beach, or, more likely, Sairung Elephant Trek which is located off the highway north of the Le Meridien on the way to Takua Pa with the trek taking you to a small waterfall and back. The waterfall Unseen refers to is not this one but, confusingly Sairung (otherwise know as Rainbow) waterfall near Le Meridien.

We have not used the former but have and would recommend Sairung Elephant trek where to our untrained eye the animals seem certainly well cared for and treated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

I tried emailing Unseen Khaolak to find out which camp is was but my email was returned. I am not sure I want to go to the Khao Lak Elephant Trek one dont like the idea of a monkey show. I hope it is the Sairung Elephant trek as they take us to the sairung waterfall after and we eat at a beach near Le Meridien maybe it is. If we went to Sairung Elephants on our own by taxi do you know how much their treks are and can you just turn up.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

There is no need to book an elephant trek in advance. They are available on the street and you can confirm which centre they take you to. You can go by taxi which will cost about 700 baht. The cost for an elephant for 2 adults is I think about 1200 baht.

Alternatively there is another camp nearer to Khao Lak which is Asia Elephant & Safari Park which is located opposite Khao Lak beach (the first beach area you reach coming from Phuket and just before you go over the mountain into Bang La On. This is the longest established Eco conscious camp in Khao Lak - see holiday-service-khaolak.com/en/index.php A taxi to here from Bang Niang would cost 350 baht. (See various taxi rates at http://www.walagata.com/w/arandora/Taxi_Rates.jpg)

Hope this helps.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

If we stay at Bang La On is it very far to Unseen Khaolak office/shop the address is 19/35 Moo 6, Khukkhak, I see on the map a Khuk Khuak beach is it near there, it looks a long way out. Thank you for all your help.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

Khuk Khak is the name of the township that covers most of Khao Lak. The main office address is Bangniang Area, 16/35 m.6 Petchkasem Road, Khukkhak Sub-district, Takuapa District, Phang-nga Province, Thailand

which is in Bang Niang about 10 minutes by taxi from Bang La On. Unless it has changed its location the office is on the beach road leading down from the 711 on the highway to Bang Niang Beach.

If you look at this map walagata.com/w/arandora/Bang_Niang_2010.jpg it is the Tour Office shown opposite Thai Life.

Eco Khao Lak is another good operator, office on the highway in Bang La On - see this map http://khaolakyellowpages.com/map.html

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
477 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

The two maps are very helpful have printed them off and thank you for the advice on Eco Khao Lak. I know this is another subject but when I look at both maps. the yellow pages has Smile Restaurant (No 40) on the main road in Nang Thong, and the Bang Niang map has it on the main road near the turn off for the waterfall. Which is correct.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

Both are correct except the Bang Niang map was drawn in 2010 just before Smile relocated to Bang La On. Unfortunately the guy who drew the Bang Niang map gave up updating it because of frequent changes. For the most part it is still correct.

8. Re: Unseen Khao Lak Elephants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:11