We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
413 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Well after many months planning my hubby's 50th birthday trip & party with friends in Thailand we are now both devastated as hubby was knocked off his push bike this morning from behind by a car traveling at 80klm?

I thought he was playing a prank on me with a gotcha call...not so. Could have been worse, he is alive & talking telling the Dr's he has a plane to catch on Saturday. Not Happening!!!

Today has been to much, tomorrow I have to deal with the travel insurance people...hope it's not to painful. Anyone had experience of claiming prior to even stepping foot on the plane?

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

That's awful :( best wishes to both of you! I haven't personally been in this situation but am pretty sure that if you have comprehensive travel insurance, you are covered in the event that you are medically unfit to travel (prob need medical certification). Good luck!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Hi,

So sorry to hear about this and first of all I'm sure everyone connected with this forum would want to wish your hubby a very speedy recovery.

Normally travel insurance is quite straightforward in covering cancellation of a holiday due to medical reasons both for the injured/sick member of the party and others included in the booking. Depending on your particular policy you may have to stand an excess (first X$AUD of the claim) as detailed in the T&Cs.

Good Luck and hope he enjoys as happy a 50th as possible in the circumstances.

Level Contributor
17 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Hope your Hubby gets better soon ... my wife had a bike accident a few years back and was sorted by the travel insurance with no issues.

Good luck and chin up ;)

Level Contributor
17 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Hope your Hubby gets better soon ... my wife had a bike accident a few years back and was sorted by the travel insurance with no issues.

Good luck and chin up ;)

Edited: 31 May 2012, 01:29
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Ohhhh no so sorry for you but I bet you are grateful that he is alive and can still go at a later date. I hope travel insurance covers it.

Linda

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
699 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Sorry to hear the bad news ,, You have been looking forward for this trip for so long so hopefully it will just go on hold. I hope your husband recovers soon and the accident issuers are not too serious.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Hi bintang girl. How are things? How is your husband? Is travel insurance covering you?

Linda

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
413 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Thank you everyone for your kind wishes. Hubby is very sore, broken ankle/leg/finger, muscular damage to shoulders & neck but no internal damage. We are counting our blessings having seen photos of the car which we are told will be written off. Medical cert. states not able to fly for 2 months :(

Friends are all disappointed but have been told to party on without us as we will then all have much to talk & laugh about.

Over the phone insurance company sounds good, yes lots of copies of paperwork, police report, Dr's certificate, all flight, accommodation, tours, tranfers booking receipts etc We have travel insurance through our gold Westpac credit card which is Zurich. Will take time but sounding like all out of pocket expenses after any refunds or compassionate vouchers are issued will be paid out.

WARNING: ALWAYS TAKE OUT TRAVEL INSURANCE AT THE TIME OF MAKING YOUR BOOKING NOT PRIOR TO DEPARTURE!

Thanks again for your support, even though we have never meet I feel like a bunch of friends have sent their well wishes our way. xoxo

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Its such a shame about your situation, I really feel for you.

I always take out Insurance when we book coz you never know what will happen.

I hope you get all your money back sooner rather than later & are able to start planning your next trip :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suppose to be flying on Saturday :(

Glad to hear at least there will be no insurance problems and that your husband is fine.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations