We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kid friendly resort in June/July

Sydney
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Kid friendly resort in June/July

Hi,

I'm travelling with my 2 kids, 2 and 5 and my mum 27th June - 11th July. I realise that this is the wet season and very quiet but looking for a relaxing and beautiful resort with good kids facilities and some kids around at this off peak time..... but at the same time not wanting to be too stuck to the hotels restaurants. Looking at Ramada, Le Meridien or JW Marriott. Can anyone help me make my mind up?

Mentioned in this post
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,470 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#2 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kid friendly resort in June/July

Of the three you are looking at, whilst all are family friendly, the 5* Le M has the better children's facilities, with a separate Family accommodation wing overlooking a large children's pool with "lazy river" flowing from it and a small paddling pool built like a beach for the toddlers. It also has a staffed Kids' Club equipped with TVs, videos, games machines etc and staff organise activities to occupy the children while the adults enjoy the lazy river, sorry, enjoy lazing about. However, at that time the nearby beach restaurants will probably be closed although the nearest one, the Rim Lay, does try and stay open as long as beach and ocean conditions allow. Otherwise you will need to catch the hotel shuttle in the evening or taxis at any time into the main townships of Bang Niang (20 minutes) and Bang La On (25 minutes).

A bit further down the coast is the 4* Kantary Beach Hotel, opened two years ago specifically targeting the families with kids market and has very good facilities too. There may be one of the restaurants immediately adjacent on White Sand Beach open but just at lunchtime. Otherwise again it's shuttle or taxi withe the same times into Khao Lak. Groupon had an exceptional deal for 5 nights at this resort over the Wet Season which may still be available - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

The J W Marriott is also an excellent 5* Resort with good children's facilities in a separate family wing. Ground floor pool access rooms are best direct into the "river" going around the resort and into the huge pool. Family rooms have a glass barrier and gate to prevent children falling into the water. The beach restaurants will be closed but there is an Italian and a Thai restaurant in the small plaza just outside the main entrance. Khao Lak is 10 - 15 minutes away by shuttle or taxi.

The 4* Ramada is in Bang Niang and therefore nearer to a larger selection of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance as is the 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Saturday) local market. It has a children's section to the main pool and more limited children's facilities.

The 4* Merlin Resort is located on Khao Lak Beach, the first you reach coming from Phuket, has good children's facilities and remains popular throughout the year. There are local restaurants nearby and you are only 10 minutes over the mountain into Khao Lak.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Rim Lay
Rim Lay
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,168 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,848 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kid friendly resort in June/July

We are staying at the Merlin Resort (only for 3 nights) early July with our kids (6 &9). Some of the reasons we chose it because it has got great pools with a water slide for the kids and still got some restaurants nearby that remain open during rainy season. We also got a great deal by booking online direct with the resort.

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,848 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
3. Re: Kid friendly resort in June/July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 12:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak