We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

Hi we are staying in Khao Lak for 5 days in June then moving on to Krabi & thinking about driving from Khao Lak to Ao Nang Krabi.

We have International licence's. Would you self drive or use a driver? Self drive we can stop when & where we want & go at our own pace. What is the roads & traffic like form KL to Ao Nang? Thanks

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

And with a driver you can relax, take in the views (you won't have time for that when driving yourself) , and not be responsible for any accident that happens. You can of course ask the driver to stop where ever you want. The roads are generally quite decent, many road signs are in English, but its not a bit like driving in Aussie. Driving on the left (for instance) is often an option even for some large vehicles, while motorcycles do what ever they please with total disregard for themselves and everybody else. Getting into Krabi the scenery can be spectacular and the roads rather windey and steep in places - the scenery can be a major distraction for a foreign tourist.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

The drive to Krabi from Khao Lak is both scenic and for the most part straightforward. Have a look at the FAQ on the right "Any ideas for self-drive tours" and near the end there is one for Phang Nga Bay which includes directions to Krabi.

However, I would not recommend hiring a car just for this purpose. Fine if you have ar for a few days to give you flexibility and accessibity to non-touristy areas but bearing in mind that you may have difficulty certainly in Khao Lak in hiring a one way hire without incurring a sizeable drop off fee, it's just not worth it. Better booking a transfer with Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis (do a search or look at Taxi FAQ for contact details) and sitting back and enjoying the drive.

If you want to stop off you could go to the Monkey Temple just outside Phang Nga. Just a short detour but worth it.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
3. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

Thanks guys think I will use Boss.

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
66 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

For future trips that drive is easy. We have done it several times. Roads are well marked. If you have a car at Ao Nang , have dinner at the Amari Voge hotel. Arrive before sun set and have a drink. Italian food is very good if you are tired of Thai.

Manchester, United...
8 posts
1 review
5. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

I am also thinking of driving from Krabi airport to Khao Lak can you tell me how long it's likely to take? Thanks

Manchester, United...
8 posts
1 review
6. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

I am also thinking of driving from Krabi airport to Khao Lak can you tell me how long it's likely to take? Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

Hi,

Depending on where you are staying in Khao Lak it is about 150 km and will take upwards of 2hrs 45 mins. Go to Google Map and put Krabi Airport and Khuek Khak, Takua Pa, Phang-nga Thailand in the Directions for the best route.

8. Re: Driving from Khao Lak to Krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak