We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help me decide which beach???

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
please help me decide which beach???

Hubby & I want to spend 4 nights in Khao Lak in June. I am so torn between Nang Thong Beach or Bang Niang Beach. As it is low season we understand it will be quite & beach swimming is unlikely but we do want some restaurants & bars etc to wander to for lunch & dinner.

Age: 46 & 50, budget around $80AUS per/night, pool required if sea to rough, view is a bonus, nice grounds, clean rooms, breaky included.

Nang Thong has a number of beachfront hotels & bars close by & walking distance to the main street of town where I believe more establishments stay open through the low season.

Bang Niang has some beautiful hotels but not as much is open in low season & a ride is needed at night time to get in & out of town.

Any thoughts, experiences or opinions are welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,446 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please help me decide which beach???

I think you have analysed the difference between the two beaches and surrounding areas very well except I wouldn't want you or others to think that Bang Niang closes down in the Wet Season. There are more than enough restaurants on or just off the beach road and up on the highway to keep anyone occupied for 4 nights.

For your budget I would suggest the Nang Thong Bay or Nang Thong Beach Resort on Nang Thong Beach or the Fanari Beach Resort (which now covers FX Resort as well) or Riverside Resort on Bang Niang Beach.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
700 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please help me decide which beach???

Nang Thong Beach Resort will put you back about $50 a night for a bungalow right on the beach or close enough.

A view to die for.

Swimming here is not too bad in the surf , you just have to be able to read the water. Pool is. always an alternative.

Breakfast is extra but is still cheap .

A golf cart will ferry you upto the main road where in 12 nights last year we sampled only a few restaurants.

Taxis are about $4 to go any distance.

W e are going back for our 3rd time in July and wouldnt stay anywhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please help me decide which beach???

Thanks for your replies.

Arandora I do like the look of Bang Niang & there are some great deals on the hotels for low season.

KevlovesJules is that Nang Thong Beach Resort 1 or 2 you like to stay at? Is there any real difference? I assume 2 would have newer amenities & bathrooms etc

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
700 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please help me decide which beach???

We stay at 1.

2 is not that much further up the beach (2 or 3 hotels) and looks thesame but smaller and not as many nice big trees along the beach edge.

5. Re: please help me decide which beach???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak