We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

khao lak

Waitara, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
khao lak

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could help me figure out how much spending money i am going to need.

I am travelling to Khao Lak Thailand in August and I have paid for all accommodation and airfares. I might do a little shopping but the rest will be spent on food, drinks and alcohol and perhaps some snorkeling or motorbike hiring Oh yeah and i am going for 7 nights..

Any input would be much appreciated and any ideas of what i can do while i am there?

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: khao lak

G'day Bianca,

You could expect to pay around 200 baht ( A$6-A$7) a day for motor bike hire.Depends on how good you can bater!

Average lunch with a couple of beers around 500 baht (A$15-A$20) per couple. Average dinner around 1000 baht (A$30) per couple. This may seem a little on the high side to some but we do like our food and tan likes a few local rums and mar enjoys a beer with dinner.

No snorkelling available in August due to the Similan and Surin islands being closed. With the motorbike you could easily spend 7 days exploring the beachs that cover about 30km around Khao Lak.

We might see you as we are there for 3 weeks in August.

tanmar

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: khao lak

Bianca,

Please bear in mind that you need to be qualified to drive a scooter in your own country and must have an International Drivers Permit that covers that to drive one legally in Thailand. That is not to say no-one will hire you a scooter without an IDP as they will. However, in the event of an accident (and not to alarm you but there are more deaths from scooter accidents than any other reason in Thailand) unless you manage to hire one with full insurance or your travel insurance covers you, you will not be covered.

This current thread will give more info on meal costs and links to restaurant menus tripadvisor.co.uk/…40494034

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: khao lak

Yes, exactly as Arandora suggests. The motor bikes in K.L. have a larger cc rating than a scotter licence will allow you to ride in Western Australia, so a motor bike endorsement is required on your license. And of course, always catch a taxi from around 150 - 200 baht home when you have a few drinks!!

Waitara, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: khao lak

Thank you for your replies it is most appreciated. Thank you Tanmar your comment has given me an idea of what i require. Arandora thank you.. I think i might just stick to cabs lol !!

5. Re: khao lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 15:12
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations