We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Hi all,

4 more sleeps before we arrive and staying for 6 nights! First time in Phuket looking for a relaxing getaway, yummy food and massages to sooth the stress away (city curse!). Appreciate all of your input to my questions below:

For snorkelling trip, we can do one or two of them. Should we skip the Phi Phi island and Phang Nga bays one and do them another time when we are based in Kata/Karon/Patong area? Should we just go to Surin/Similan/Koh Tachai instead as its nearer from Khao Lak? Can you please recommend who and how much for each of full day or half day snorkelling trip?

As we are staying for 6 nights, we would like to eat out at least 5 nights at the restaurants on the right side of the beach (Mamas Greeting last one on the right), Bang La On and Bang Niang. Can you please recommend 3 restaurants for each area mentioned and how much does it cost per person including alcoholic drinks? I hope they are still open until we leave!

I have seen some mentions of massages on the left and right side of the beach. Which one is best and how much does it cost? As for spa, is there a good one besides the one in JW?

Thanks for your time and look forward to some replies soon!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
951 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Are you staying in Phuket before or after Khao Lak? If you are going straight to Khao Lak it means you will be arriving at the end of April and trips to Similans, Surins and Tachai finish on 30th. So you will have to go straight away and trust that the weather holds for you. Book at any tour shop at one of nearby restaurants or go into Bang Niang for more choice, Expect to pay no more than 2000 baht for a full day tour to Similans (Fantastic Similans, Ruk Talay) or Tachai (Love Andaman, Kuraburi) 3000+ for Surins (Kuraburi). You can also arrange a trip to Phang Nga Bay with Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis or other local operators.

There are lots of recommendations for restaurants in the FAQs on the right and for a typical Thai meal of starter and main course with rice and deep fried vegetables plus a large beer expect to pay about 250 - 350 baht per person, a bit more for fresh fish, more for tiger prawns.

There is not a lot of difference in quality or price of the local massage places either side of JWM where price is about 300 baht for Thai or oil massage. There is no local spa nearby. Spas tend to be within resorts and are much more expensive.

Hope this helps you to enjoy your stay in Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,593 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,006 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Hi Alan/Barbara,

Thanks for your quick reply.

We will arrive and go straight to Khao Lak to stay the entire 6 nights. When you mention below, Fantastic Similans, Ruk Talay is a tour company located near the beach or in Bang Niang? Do they have a website with email address to contact and book?

"Expect to pay no more than 2000 baht for a full day tour to Similans (Fantastic Similans, Ruk Talay) or Tachai (Love Andaman, Kuraburi) 3000+ for Surins (Kuraburi)"

I have trawled the FAQ for the places to eat and want a specific list that I can stick to rather than be indecisive (which I am very prone to when given too many choices!). Are you able to list some that I must not miss?

THANKS!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

If you book with a local tour agent ask them to book you with Fantastic or Ruk Talay whichever is avaialble. The problem with booking in advance now is the unprecictable weather when you only have a few days. Better booking as soon as you arrive to give you a better chance to take the trip at a later date if the first is cancelled because of sea conditions. It will also be cheaper than bookinng on-line. However, this is Fantastic's website http://fantasticsimilan.com/

As for restaurants her are are a few of our favourites:

* Bang Niang - Hill Tribes (Chiang Mai based cuisine) Khai Niau (Isan cuisine) Takieang ( local cuisine)

* Bang La On - Everyday 2 (local + international), Smile (Thai speciality cuisine), Keeper (Thai tapas and main courses), Khao Lak Seafood

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Thanks for all your help!

Anyone else can input if I should take the phang nga bay/phi phi tour or the similans/tachai/surin?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Phi Phi is too far for a day tour from Khao Lak. Phang Nga Bay with sea canoes and a visit to the Monkey Temple is to me a better bet, given uncertainty of weather, than Similans etc.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

We would be at jwm from the 27 April, should we look to rent a car? Or there are enough activities around the hotel to fill our 4days vacation, just using the shuttle? thinking massages, lashing around and eating, as well as visiting any nearby attractions.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

You wouldn't need a car to do those type of things. Better to use the shuttle or taxi or taxi with driver or book a tour or two.

Ireland
Level Contributor
108 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

I think for the first time in our lives tog we are going to do nothing much than laze around, we normally drive around constantly... Old age creeping in. Hope the resort keeps us busy. Need to watch footy on tues morning though... Any live UK sports showing around?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

If you are thinking of the City v United match it may be shown at Walkers Inn opposite Laguna Resort at the entrance to Bang La On or at Jungle Bar or Smile Cocktail Bar both down the beach road in Bang Niang. I've made some enquiries and post answers.

Mentioned in this post
Walkers Inn
Walkers Inn
504 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkelling trip, food and massages-staying at JW Marriott

Jungle Bar will not be showing the match but the Gecko Bar in Bang will. See map for directions at http://geckobarkhaolak.com/index.html

Waiting for further information on other possibilities.