We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

We are flying into Phuket in late November after spending time with our daughter in hectic Hong Kong, so want peace and quiet and comfort. We've never been before, are active OAPs who like beach, golf and wildlife watching. We like smaller hotels - and I like the look of the Sarojin at Khao Lak. Any views or other ideas please -and, as we are booking independently, is it best (and cheapest?) to book directly with the hotel. Would welcome advice from TA as usual! Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

Hi,

The Sarojin is an excellent virtually adult only (due to combination of minimum age of 14 and price) luxury boutique resort. It is located on the nicest beach in Khao Lak although it only has a small beach frontage. It is immediately adjacent to the large Kantary Bay Resort which is very child friendly bit they don't impinge on your privacy. On the other side is the stretch of beach known as White Sand Beach which has just 3 small restaurants with bungalows at the rear and which was once Khao Lak's best kept secret and is now in the busiest part of the High Season (mid-December to February) its most popular day trip with lots of rows of sun loungers on the beach. However, that shouldn't be the case when you are thinking of visiting and from late afternoon when the day trippers leave it's a great spot for sunset dinners. The main restaurant at the Sarojin is excellent, but expensive as you would expect with the best wine cellar in Khao Lak, the beach restaurant is less expensive but also excellent.

To the left beyond the Kantary there are two restaurants, the second being one of our favourites, the Boatyard, again especially for a sunset dinner.

The main townships of Bang Niang and Bang La On are 20 minutes and 25 minutes respectively away by free hotel shuttle or taxi. I would shop around for best rate then see if Sarojin will beat it!

Pics of Sarojin at https:/… and of White Sand Beach at https:/…

If you want a couple of other resorts to consider have a look at the Paradise Resort, beachfront villas, on Sunset Beach and the brand new Beyond Khao Lak, beachfront pool villas, which is further up around the headland on Pak Weeb Beach.

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Kantary Bay, Phuket
Kantary Bay, Phuket
1,393 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,167 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Aonang Paradise Resort
Aonang Paradise Resort
730 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Sunset Beach Resort
Sunset Beach Resort
1,139 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

Many thanks! Very helpful ideas and links. I'll do a bit more research and then may get back to you. Regards

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

Sometimes it's best to book directly with a hotel and sometimes you can get a better rate using a booking site. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or if 'direct booking' is best.

Usually, booking sites are all fairly close in price, but occasionally you will find one that offers a way better deal (for exactly the same thing) than all others. If you use a booking site read the fine print re: cancellation charges/dates. Some booking sites require full payment in advance, or a deposit... or perhaps nothing except the credit card guarantee (in case you are a 'no show'). Virtually none have exactly the same conditions... so the ubiquitous 'Best Rate Guarantee' is almost meaningless.

I booked my Khao Lak hotel through a booking site (it was significantly less than all others... and the hotel itself). I booked my Pattaya hotel directly because the hotel had the best price. Yesterday, I noticed the price for my room had dropped since I booked. I sent them an email and got the new promo rate - 400 baht per night less.

It really pays to 'shop around' (and keep checking once you have booked).

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
268 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

many thanks - that's really useful. I'll have to have a look at different sites.

Winsford, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

If you're not already a member oif Quidco in the UK, then why not??? Seriously, there are tons of holiday companies on the Quidco cashback website, one in particular is hotelclub that offers 12% cashback on every booking. We're staying at two hotels in Thaland, and we just got paid over £70 for a 16 night booking which brings the cost of the hotel per night stay down. Enjoy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

Still need to compare against other websites that don't offer cashback as they may have cheaper rates overall even allowing for that.

7. Re: Khao Lak hotels for first-timers - advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak