We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

Scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

Hi,

We are due to leave in just under 3 weeks. So excited! As we have 3 hour stop over at kuala lumpar airport do we need Malaysian currency?

1. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 March 2012, 16:03
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

It depends what you intend buying. If just Duty Free items then you can use a credit or debit card. If it is for refreshments, small purchases you can change £ to MYR at one of the exchange booths. You will get the same rate of exchange as in the city or anywhere else so no problem. If you are taking a laptop there is free wi-fi at most dining outlets.

These comments assume you are flying to Phuket from the main KLIA terminal probably with Malaysia Airlines. If you are flying with AirAsia you need to transfer to the LCCT terminal which is at the far end of the runway. So you will need some MYR, again obtainable at an exchange booth in the main KLIA terminal, to pay for 20 minute taxi or very cheap bus transfer and for the fewer dining/spending outlets at LCCT.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

Hi, we've recently returned with a similar transit time in KLIA, and three hours fly by (excuse the pun). Especially on the outbound flight, stretch your legs etc... We didn't have any Malaysian Currency, but didn't find this a problem, even for small purchases we used our debit card to buy- of all things a Burger King...and was quite suprised it only cost us £5.50 when we recieved our statment from our bank today (coincidently) I just checked for you.!!!

I'm assuming that Malaysian Air is taking you to Phuket and you probably are not thinking about returning yet, but I recommend that you check-in online for your return flights (48hrs before you come home) the queues for those who had not used this facility were huge, and slow, however the people who had checked in previously had empty desks, so its well worth the 5 minute effort...We had a wonderful time, again I,m assuming you are going to Khao Lak...Enjoy Ian & Dawn

Ps thanks to Arandora for you help....NTBR 1 was excellent...I'll buy you a pint next year..

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

by-the-way £5.50 was for 2 of us....

Scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

I've never checked in online! How does that work? I feel dumb for asking but if it saves long wait in a queue I'm very interested in finding out more. With thanks :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,410 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

Just go to the Malaysia Airlines website and look for On line Check In. It explains there what you have to do.

Mentioned in this post
wales
Level Contributor
77 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

As Arandora said really easy honestly, try it out this end in the comfort of your own home for your outward flight then the homeward flight will be a walk in the park (you'll also be able to choose your seats, let us know how it all goes...

8. Re: Flying to Thailand - stopover Malaysia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2013, 14:53
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak