We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

We have been looking once again plenty of nice hotels and after having dropped off many nice ones, these tree are on the list. And we just can not make a decision between them. Maybe someone can help us with making up our minds :)

We are a big family with children aged 4 - 17. We like a bit of shopping, nice restaurants, lovely beach, clean and beautiful hotel, snorkeling, kids love good pools and waterslides...

We are going to spend the first 8 nights at Kamala beach and staying at Khao Lak for 6 nights during peak season.

Earlier we have stayed at Karon, Kata, Kamala and Khao Lak south beach. And loved everyone of them. We have visited Phi Phi for one night, Naiharn beach and Similan for day tour, waterfals, elephant trekking etc trips and on next holiday we are not planning to do anything special. At least not at Khao Lak. Just enjoying the rest of holiday and lovely weather (hopefully).

The hotels we have stayed at are Sunwing Kamala, Phuket Orchid resort, Centara Kata, Khao Lak Emerald and Andaman Legacy. And we have liked every hotel. All of them differ a little from each other, so there is not any special type of hotel that we like. Just need to be clean, big pools and a child-friendly hotel with good breakfast. Lovely environment and beautiful plants and decorating is a bonus though.

If the teenager was not traveling with us, we would probably choose Apsaras or Kantary. But I am a bit worried if the young man will enjoy at all if the place is too quiet. He does not go on wondering himself anywhere, but enjoys for example nightshopping with us. But maybe he would be satisfied if we just visited Khao Lak center for couple times.

This january we visited White Sand beach for just a couple hours and it was lovely, of course :) I bet the Pakarang beach of Memories beach is just as adorable as this.

But would it be more life at Nang thong?

I am really confused. I have read so much about these beaches and these hotels and just have gotten more confused.

Thank you for every effort!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

The Kantary is on Pak Weeb the best beach in Khao Lak with White Sand Beach and its 3 restaurants to the right and two restaurats including the excellent Boatyard to the left. it is a large, currently being made larger, resort targeted at families with children, particularly the Scandinavian market. The main areas of Bang Niang and Bang La On are 20 and 25 minutes away by shuttle/taxi respectively.

The Apsaras is located on the somewhat isolated Pakarang Beach with just two or three restaurants nearby including the lively Memories Beach Club, home of the Khao Lak Surf Club. This part of the beach is one of the few in Thailand where surfing is possible (but nothing like Oz, of course!) It is about same time to main townships as the Kantary.

The Sea View is a large resort, very popular with the Scandinavian package market, located one block direct beach front on Nang Thong Beach, the other block just behind across an access road. It is easy walking distance to the centre of Bang La On where most restaurants, bars and shops are located.

Goteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Kantary

Pros: Fantastic beach, good local restaurants nearby, nice rooms.

Cons: Environment not so lovely, no beautiful plants, a domination of Scandinavian guests, no shopping nearby.

Apsaras

Pros: Very peaceful due to the isolated location, fantastic beach (even if it turns downright ugly further north).

Cons: Very limited number of restaurants, a domination of French guests, no shopping nearby.

Khao Lak Seaview

Pros: Very close to beach, shopping and restaurants. Two nice big pool areas, one of them with a big water slide.

Cons: Total domination of Scandinavian guests.

All in all I would say the beaches are nicer at Kantary and Apsaras, but when it comes to pool areas the Seaview is the winner by far.

Regards,

Collberg, Scandinavian :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Nice one Collberg. You Scandis are nothing if not honest about each other. :-)

Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Wau, you are so fast :) I thought I would have to wait at least few days before anyone answers. Thank you so very much. You are lovely :)

So it is probably the Apsaras which is next one to drop off the list. There is yet Kantary and Seaview to compare and make a decision. Phuuuh.

I think I like better the rooms at Kantary but the pools and hotel area at Seaview looks much better. The Kantary has this camp-look, like many wrote at reviews. But the beach is better at Kantary.

If only the Kantary had even a little bit better pools or even one waterslide, it would be the best choice.

So have not yet made any decision. Fortunately I have plenty of time :)

And you can always make a suggestion if you get an idea that there is some other hotel that might be suitable for us. But the price can not be too much.

I have already made a reservation to Seaview (which is is possible to cancellate without charge) because I found once a great deal: 6000 thb per room at peak season. And rate at Kantary is 6500 thb per suite, that is the maximum we could pay.

Thanks!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Hi,

Could you just clarify your dates please and your family size (is it 3 adults in effect, 17 year old would be classed as an adult + 1 4 year old?) so that we can help further? (see also my PM)

Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
6. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Arandora,

Thank´s for your PM. The hotel you suggested would certainly be lovely, if we were traveling with big kids. But I think the pool is too small for our needs.

We are a family of 7 people. 3 adults (including the 17 year old) and 4 kids (age are 4, 7, 7 and 9). So we usually need either two separate rooms or a familysuite with at least 2 bedrooms.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

... and your budget is maximum 6500 baht per room/suite?

Have a look at this booking site http://www.compare-hotels.co/

Enter Phang Nga, Thailand in the search box with your dates and under Guests, drop down and select "Need more rooms and have children?" to come up with a list of accommodation that might suit you better.

Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
8. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Arandora,

Thank you once again. Yes, our budjet is about max. 6500 baht per room.

In order not to be too easy, I just had a new alternative, hahaa ;) Never really been thinking that we could stay at Bangtao beach, but now just suddenly got an idea. So, now there is a new competitor :) Khao Lak or Bangtao?? Well, this is Khaolak forum, so probably wrong place for that kind of question. And we really loved Khao Lak last time and there is only 6 days, so maybe we will go there again. Would be much shorter way from Kamala though. And to the airport...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

Taking traffic conditions on Phuket into account at time of travel Bang Tao to the airport, although the distance may be less I think you will find little if any difference to that taken to get to Khao Lak.

10. Re: Kantary beach, Apsaras or Khaolak Seaview

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak