We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hello from Khao Lak

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Hello from Khao Lak

Sat by pool at Marriott in scorching hot (33C) sunlight and the heavens open so decided to let you know my thoughts so far.

Nice enough hotel but too big in my opinion.

Check in was not 5 star service at all. Left to find our own room which wasnt difficult but at most other 5 stars they take you to your room and explain the amenities and how things work. We decided to take upgrade to pool access room which worked out about £25 extra per day. I think we made the right decision we are in block 3 and out pool area is very peaceful.

Ate at MaMa Greetings on the beach last night. Amazing Penang Chicken and Green Curry. Friendly place but was dissapointed that they only had one bottle of red wine in stock ! A half bottle at that.

Breakfast this morning was good. Lots of choice. They make you sign a check for breakfast showing the price at 1883 THB but I was reassured that this would NOT be charged to our rooms we have breakfast inc in our rate. Why you have to sign for something you have as part of your rate I don't know.

Drinks here are 3 times the price as they are on the beach so we won't be bothering with hotel bars or restaurants as our room is about 50m from the beach where there are about 10or so great little rustic bars/restaurants.

Not sure if this place is official 5 star but for service I would say its not 5 star Some staff are very friendly some are quite grumpy such as the two miseries in the gym this morning.

I am glad we chose The Marriott though but probably only for the fact we have the brilliant little restaurants on the beach.

The beach is simply stunning by the way.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Thanks for your report, we also ate at MaMa Greeting s but drank beer :-)) the beach is fabulous we loved it there.

Nottingham, UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Hi, that's good news on the weather as the general forecast has said cloudy/thunderstorms for the last few weeks...

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

We staying here too Mike.

Been here for few days now.

Pi..ing down again now!

Will probly get wet externally & internally again tonight.

Yeah the beach bars & restaurants are the way to go.

Brekky good though!

PS. thats why we bought some red & white wine with us from OZ!

Specz

Edited: 04 March 2012, 15:20
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Hi Mike

enjoy all the khao lak magic, i'm sure you will.

Hey Specz, you old soak, have another one for me...

26 days , but whoooooose counting

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

We are off to Phen Restaurant on beach in about 45 mins. Had a lovely chat with owner this afternoon who is a lovely woman. Told me very sad personal story of tsunami.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Surprised about comments about checking in. We were shown to our rooms and where various bars, restaurants etc were.

As for wine at Ma Ma's, it's not unusual for beach restaurants not to stock wine at all or only to have low supplies as there isn't a great call for it. They work on tight profit margins, low stock levels and as much fresh produce as possible. When we first went to one and took our own wine we had to drink it out of beer glasses as they didn't even stock wine glasses. LOL. Buy your own, much cheaper anyway, at local supermarkets.

Otherwise glad to see you are enjoying yourself.

Had a walk down to Memories on Pakarang Beach yet?

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Walking the beach tomorrow. Stunning is all I can say from what I have seen so far.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Hey Mike .......we went to Phen as well.......basicly because it was the closest in the rain!

........gotta stop this or TA people might start talking!

Should have arranged a TA dinner mate!

Specz

Edited: 04 March 2012, 19:47
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

Just got back.

Phen is a lovely lady. Lost her 10 year old boy in tsunami. And then her husband. Very sad.

Tonight had the following: spring rolls to share for appetiser followed by Green curry, massaman curry, rice, pad Thai, 1 x Singapore sling, 1 x chan, 1 x water, half bottle red and then we decided to buy a take out bottle of red as well.....£ 32 all in !

Food was amazing. Especially the massaman. If anyone's up for a meet up give us a shout.

10. Re: Hello from Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 22:10
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations