We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hep b and rabies

england
Level Contributor
11 posts
140 reviews
Save Topic
hep b and rabies

can i have some feed back on these jabs please? been to doctors today and they said i have to make up my own mind..........went to thailand years ago and cant remember every having them done before! the info scares the living day lights out of me.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hep b and rabies

Hep B is usually in two stages and I think you are too late now for it to be effective this year. As for rabies, whilst there are stray dogs about if you keep away from them they will keep away from you. Don't try feeding monkeys either. Poor advice from your doctor if he did not give you appropriate information on which to make an informed decision.

You will get general information here netdoctor.co.uk/travel/asia/thailand.shtml but really your doctor should be advising you taking into account your personal medical condition.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hep b and rabies

yes keep away from monkeys -vicious dam things! i hate them

dogs are ok imo+cats but don,t feed them from ur hand as they will use their paw to get the food and scratch you

i don,t think you need worry abt vaccinations

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,472 posts
300 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hep b and rabies

As is common with vaccinations, the benefits should outweigh the potential risks.

"The [Hepatitis A] virus spreads by the fecal-oral route and infections often occur in conditions of poor sanitation and overcrowding". Restaurants are not necessarily any more hygienc than street vendors in my experience.

Most people could go to Thailand without being vaccinated against the recommended illnesses, and come back perfectly fine.

Personally, I am not an ultra-paranoid person, but I still have comprehensive car insurance, home insurance, and I have immunised myself against Hep A, Hep B, and Typhoid Fever - which are the illnesses that Australians are urged to immunise against when travelling to SE Asia.

So that's what it is, an insurance policy of sorts, and my personal recommendation is that it's better to be safe than sorry!

As for rabies, I agree with andy53, the Thai dogs are generally quite docile, and I've only ever seen them ark up at each other over some territorial dispute. Even then they usually just chase the offending dog away, then go back to what they were doing. I often stop to pat them, or give them some food leftovers, and have never had a problem. Monkeys indeed are a different thing.

I must admit, I hadn't realised a vaccine for Rabies is available, but if you are inclined to be vaccinated for all the other things, then you should consider rabies as well, however you are probably more likely to eat contaminated food in Thailand's cities that be attacked by a wild animal!

In terms of feedback, I had no unexpected side effects, and that should be the case for the vast majority. All these vaccines have been around for a long time, so the risk is low.

Edited: 23 February 2012, 02:44
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,633 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hep b and rabies

Hi,

I wouldn't necessarily consider having the rabies vaccine for Thailand. As has been mentioned dogs tend not to approach you there. If you have the vaccine, which is quite expensive and needs to be given in stages, in the event that you are bitten by a dog you think might be rabid, you still need to have follow up injections, two rather than five if you haven't had the first vaccination. The main advantage with it is if you are travelling to remote areas where you cannot get immediate treatment it gives you some leeway as the treatment has to be started quickly. You are unlikely to be more than 24 hours away from good medical care in Thailand. The hepatitis vaccinations do make sense though as does tetanus if you're not up to date.

Cheers

arctica
Level Contributor
931 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hep b and rabies

The most effectice rabies vaccine is to stay away from cats and dogs no matter how cute and friendly they seem to be, or how sad and sorry you are about them. Make a donation to the animal welfare and rescue centers instead.

Parents should be extra careful, imo.

If an animal is infected, some sliver could be enough if it gets in contact with your mouth or a small wound etc. And you would probably not take notice before you (hopefully not) get sick. Then it`s too late!!

There are cats and dogs everywhere, so it is impossible to avoid the risk totally, and you can never predict their behaviour and reaction unless you are an expert... A dog you pass on the beach, the road, outside – or sometimes inside a restaurant – or wherever… can suddenly turn around a bite you before you know it.

If you get bitten and have to go through a treatment program, it can spoil your travelling plans as well if you are going to remote places where it is difficult to get the scheduled shots.

We have been through this and learned the lesson..….

6. Re: hep b and rabies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations