We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Lanta

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Lanta

I know I'm on the Khao Lak forums but thought some of the posters may have been to Koh Lanta

Next year we're thinking of maybe having a week in Koh Lanta and then onto Khao Lak. My question is, has anyone been there and how does it compare to Khao Lak?

Will also look at the Lanta forums as well.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Lanta

Hi,

It compares very favourably, however the big chains have not moved into Lanta yet so it tends to be a simpler experience although that is changing.

cheers

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Lanta

Thanks for the response, what are the hotels like? I had a quick look at some hotels and as you mention, doesn't seem like big chains.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,450 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Lanta

Hi,

That's right, you have a few really good independents, Layana and Pimalai being the top of the tree and then just a lot of good smaller properties, some are great, some are ok, some are less than great. The beaches get less busy as you go down the island, hard to make any recommendations without knowing what you are looking for

cheers

4. Re: Koh Lanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 April 2012, 02:05
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Lanta

If you are going to promoye Kho Lanta do it on the Kho Lanta Forum. Repotrted as Self-Promotion.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
598 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Lanta

I was on Koh Lanta in Aug. '10; but sorry, can't give you a comparison with Khao Lak because I've not been yet - I'm booked for 3 weeks this July.

I stayed on the north end close to Saladan at the Crown Lanta and enjoyed it very much - see my rather lengthy review.

Perhaps I was just unlucky and it was an 'unusual' afternoon, but the 350 baht public 'Minivan' transfer from Krabi was the trip from HELL! They stuffed 16 people (and luggage) into a 9-passenger van along with packages for delivery (most people posting on TA seem happy with the service though). For the return, I gladly paid the hotel an outrageous 2,500 baht for a private transfer... it was worth it.... LOL (I could have got a guy with a nice Toyota for 1500 + the ferry fares... but, I'd already booked with the resort).

Of course, being August it was 'Green Season' and many things were closed. However, there was no lack of open establishments either. My favourite place was Mary Ann's Bar & Restaurant in Saladan where Sao would cook anything, anyway I wanted. There are a plethora of seafood restaurants where dining 'over the water' and watching the sunset is just magical.

I was going to back last Aug. and try the Layana... had to cancel due to work. This summer I've decided to try Khao Lak. If you have any specific questions about Koh Lanta, just ask.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Stockholm
Level Contributor
658 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Lanta

'Been to both; like both: same same but different...

Both places have many and long, more or less deserted golden (not white) beaches with lots of beach side hotels. Lanta is much cheaper, "more backpacker"; Khao Lak much more upmarket. Khao Lak has much better hotels on average (except the two competing 5* Layana and Pimalai, Lanta's better hotels appear to still be learning, which is charming but sometimes annoying).

Khao Lak has better "real" nature experiences; Lanta has more charming villages (Khao Lak looked like a few houses along a major road compared to the genuine charm of Saladan and Lanta Old Town. Lanta has several wonderful island excursions reasonably nearby, while Khao Lak has Similan/Surin/Racha much further from the mainland but with outstanding beaches/snorkelling/diving for Thailand. Given more knowledge of your interests I could give more precise info!

Edited: 22 May 2012, 14:23
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Lanta Old Town
Lanta Old Town
2,265 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,190 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Racha
The Racha
1,323 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
8. Re: Koh Lanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 14:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations