We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR Part 2 - Hua Hin to Khao Lak to Phuket

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,748 posts
386 reviews
Save Topic
JBR Part 2 - Hua Hin to Khao Lak to Phuket

Hua Hin to Khao Lak

Rented a Toyota Fortuna as a one way rental from Thai Car rental. Arranged via a third party in the UK, but could have e-mailed Thai direct. The one way rental cost 2100thb extra on top of the daily rate. Had we booked the car for 5 days the one way rental would have been free!

Left Hua Hin at 10:30am headed to Prahuap Khiri Khan on highway 4, then Thap Sekae, Ban Saphan, then servo 15km north of Chumphon where we enjoyed a chicken with chilli and boiled rice with iced coffee each for a total of 100thb, yes that was for the 2 of us (!!!). Hot and spicy and very, very tasty!

Then on to 41 at Chumphon, Sawi, Nong Pla, then across the isthmus on the 4006 [stunning road], back on the 4 just north of Nam Sai, Kapoe, stopped for fuel and iced coffee at Suk Samran, then Bang Wan / Khao Sak National Park, Takua Pa, and finally arriving at the Ramada in Khao Lak 7 hours and 575km later.

The Beast from Hua Hin as we affectionately call our Toyota Fortuna 4x4 did us proud - and a lot more economical than my [smaller engined lighter Avensis] Toyota at home . . . . . lovely scenery on route, and lots of temples and crematorium (my passion).

We could have kept on the 41 longer and join the 401 just south of Surat Thani over to Takua Pa, but decided to enjoy the mountains.

Beautiful sunset on arrival. Long drive but well worth it!!

Khao Lak

Stayed at Ramada hotel on Bang Niang beach.

It was a relaxing time in Khao Lak / Bang Niang. Not a great deal to see immediately near the hotel without transport. Mr Mitch and I perhaps need more out of our resorts than just relaxing on the beach, as we found Bang Niang (the busiest in Khao Lak) just a bit to quiet for us.

The hotel is a 2 minute gentle stroll to the nearest shop, 5 minute to the road that goes from the main road down to the beach where there is very good choice of shops / restaurants / bars, and 15 minute walk up to the main road to Phuket where there is a 7Eleven. Beach is lovely, not overly crowded and only a few beach vendors.

We had planned to meet up with Arandora but life got in the way!

Restaurant first night was a disappointment, thai food with an heavy indian style, and we are not great fans of indian food so when we went for a walk round Bang Niang the next day we found a little mom and pop shop to buy some cans of iced coffee and a bottle of water and using the powers of Thailish managed to work out a popular restaurant selling half decent thai food he described, Rabeang restaurant.

Had fabulous foot / shoulder massage that cost 250thb at Herb and Health Spa and walked back to see Mr {I’m heading back to the hotel} Mitch coming out of another massage shop, oh says he I’ve just had . . . . . . . or been had said I, well it did cost 1600thb says he but I didn’t have a happy ending he chirps in, mmmm said I but they did see you coming at that price. We did have a laugh about it. Still other than no happy ending he did have the works, shave, facial and head massage, foot scrub, and pedicure.

Had a lovely meal at Rabeang restaurant (opposite the Muridan hotel, down beside J R Minimart), very nice tasty thai food (not too westernised) for less then 600thb including drinks.

Both nights we had drinks at the ‘Smile Bar’ which was on the corner of the road to the Ramada. Nice feel to the place.

A lot of mozzies early evening, rain late afternoon, hot and sunny most of the day.

Sea was warm!

Visited Police boat 813 that was washed ashore at Bang Niang during the 2004 Tsunami. I don’t know why (and I deal with death daily) but I found the visit moving – and there is not a lot at the site but something was touching me. We also visited the sculpture but it was a disappointment as it is not maintained.

Khao Lak is very much about relaxing and not doing much. It is a great place to do that however!

Khao Lak to Patong, Phuket via our rented Toyota Fortuna (aka the beast from Hua Hin)

Journey took us 3 hours / 117km, but we did stop at Tesco Lotus on the ring road just before we got to Patong to buy some supplies. A great place to buy homeware and their food court is good value.

Easy drive, a bit like most of Thailand the signage is always abit iffy out away from fareng areas.

Our trip

LHR to BKK – Eva Air

BKK to Hua Hin via Mr Ekk taxi

Hua Hin – Citin Loft

Hua Hin

Hua Hin to Khao Lak via our rented Toyota Fortuna (aka the beast from Hua Hin)

Khao Lak – Ramada

Khao Lak

Khao Lak to Patong, Phuket via our rented Toyota Fortuna (aka the beast from Hua Hin)

Patong – Bura Sari

Patong

Patong to Kata

Kata – The Boathouse

Kata

Phuket Sail Tours

Kata to Chaweng, Samui via Bangkok Airways lunchtime flight

Samui – Centara Grand, Chewang

Samui – Chewang Beach

Day trip to Koh Phanang

Samui to BKK via Bangkok Airways flight

BKK over night at Novotel

BKK to LHR – Eva Air

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR Part 2 - Hua Hin to Khao Lak to Phuket

I've seen your pics of you "relaxing" in Patong on Facebook so no wonder you found Khao Lak " just a bit to quiet for us." LOL

Great JBR. Sorry we missed you.

Alan

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR Part 2 - Hua Hin to Khao Lak to Phuket

Thanks for posting your reports, I have just finished part 1 and part 2 didn't disappoint, we will be returning to Thailand in May and can't wait.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,748 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR Part 2 - Hua Hin to Khao Lak to Phuket

Thanks, parts 3 and 4, and maybe a part 5 to follow!!

Shame we did not get to meet up again A, but hey!

Blame Aussie1NSW, D and Mr Mitch for leading me astray in Patong, as I am normally 1 or 2 G&T and bed by 11 pm sort of girl . . . . . . as Thailand had no tonic so a G&T was out of the question perhaps the cocktails were stronger than I thought. . . . .

Edited: 19 February 2012, 14:37
4. Re: JBR Part 2 - Hua Hin to Khao Lak to Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2013, 15:06
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations