We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak

sydney
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak

Heading to Khao Lak in April. How is the surf then? Is it getting rough? Will we still be able to pick up snorkelling tours to Similian islands?

Is it worth going and staying on Kho Khao island? The KIB has good rates any info would be good? Thinking of staying at the Nang Thong Bay???

Also should we do an overnight to Similian on a boat? Is a visit for the day to Khao Sok long enough or should we be planning to stay overnight? Might book a few nights and then see how we go. Will i be able to pick up accom easily enough in April for a family of 5???

Was planning on turning up and seeing how we go. Though am nervous as will be travelling with 3 teens and would feel terrible if they were forced to sleep on the street:)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak

"Was planning on turning up and seeing how we go" - which place are you talking about as you've mentioned several. Assuming you're flying in from Aussie, I'd say the last thing you want to be doing after a long flight is dragging three tired teens from hotel to hotel in a strange place looking for a room. April shouldn't be too busy, except for 6-8th which is a long weekend holiday, and 13-16 April which is the Thai New Year when just about every Thai takes time off for a vacation or to the visit family. April is also the hottest month of the year.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak

IF You stay overnight in Similan islands. I Suggest you rent a bungalow. The tents are wet hot , mosquito infested. With only a thin sleeping mat. Our worst night ever in Thailand. Beautiful island though .

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak

Heading to Khao Lak in April. How is the surf then? Is it getting rough?

- the ocean does become rougher with the approach of the Wet Season particularly at high tide.

Will we still be able to pick up snorkelling tours to Similan islands?

- Yes, the Islands are open officially until the end of April, so tours will be running until then.

Is it worth going and staying on Kho Khao island? The KIB has good rates any info would be good?

- KKK is very quiet with only a few restaurants open near the harbour and road going up the island from there. If you don't have your own transport then the KIB will offer a nice, relaxing beach spot, if that is what you want.

Thinking of staying at the Nang Thong Bay???

- good and popular choice IF you ban get in. It is so popular. Better check availability.

Also should we do an overnight to Similan on a boat?

- depends what you want to do (nothing in the evening, just the restaurant there, and how much snorkelling. Or do you mean a liveaboard? i.e. staying on a boat. If so they are usually for diving and for more than one night.

Is a visit for the day to Khao Sok long enough or should we be planning to stay overnight? Might book a few nights and then see how we go. Will i be able to pick up accom easily enough in April for a family of 5???

- Assuming this is all about Khao Sok, it depends how long you are staying in Khao Lak and how much you just want to use that as a base. Also depends what you want to do in Khao Sok and Cheow Lan Lake. I'd recommend looking at Limestone Lake Tours at www.limestonelaketours.com/… or Khao Sok Explorer at khao-sok-explorer.e-monsite.com/accueil.html to see what the area offers and the type of tours available to determine how long you want to stay there.

Was planning on turning up and seeing how we go. Though am nervous as will be travelling with 3 teens and would feel terrible if they were forced to sleep on the street:)

- I certainly wouldn't recommend just turning up in Khao Sok or indeed anywhere in Khao Lak in April, a busy and popular period, without having pre-booked accommodation, particularly with a family of 5.

4. Re: Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2013, 14:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations