We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

Brisbane AUS
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

Hi

Im hoping to get some advise to help with a decision. This July will be our 3rd time to Thailand so I have decided to break it up and stay in Khao Lak for a 5 nights (rest of time in Phuket).

I am having issues deciding on a the Ramada Ocean view villa, Ramada Pool villa or the Sarojin pool residence. The Sarojin is an extra $50 a night. It will be a spurge either way but where in Oz can you get a villa for the same price as a little room in a high rise at the Gold Coast?? :)

I know the ocean can be rough at this time of year so was drawn to the pool villas in case we cant go swimming but I'm not sure if I want to be in a Prison with no view either.

Is the Sarojin worth the extra $$?

Which Hotel has the better beach?

Are there better alternate food options close to the Ramada (It seems less secluded than the sarojin)?

Are there lots of families at the Ramada?? (we have no kids so prefer to stay somewhere that was not full of families)

Thanks for your help in advance

Simone

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

Last first. No children under 14 at the Sarojin and effectively it is Adults Only. The Ramada is family friendly but I very much doubt whether there will be lots of families in July. It is school holidays in Europe but with the continuing recession and pressure on the Eurozone, long haul holidays are not as popular at the moment.

The Sarojin is a small 5* Luxury boutique resort which has won Best Hotel in Thailand awards for the past two years. The pool residences are superb but none of the villas are ocean front or have an ocean view. It has two excellent restaurants, one of which is beachfront and more reasonably priced than the fine dining one. Depending on the weather one or more of the three local restaurants on the adjacent White Sand Beach may be open. Other than that, it's a free shuttle or taxi to Bang Niang (20 minutes_ or Bang La On (25 minutes). It is located on Pak Weeb Beach which is viewed by most as the best of Khao Lak's beaches. It is immediately next door to the 4* Kantary Beach Resort which is very family orientated but, again, in July that is unlikely to be very full. Here are a few pics from a couple of years ago https:/…

The 4* Ramada is located on the best and widest part of Bang Niang Beach with, as you have seen, a wide range of accommodation options. The Ocean View Villas are semi-detached but are set up the beach aways from the resort so giving not only a fabulous location but more privacy. The pool villas are set back from the beach and are enclosed within their own walls. It has an excellent restaurant, Sassi's overlooking the beach and there are plenty of dining option booth overlooking the beach to the north and on the surrounding roads and up to the highway where there are more.

Have a look at this recent thread for information on restaurants in Bang Niang likely to be open tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… and this link to a map of Bang Niang walagata.com/w/arandora/Bang_Niang_2010.jpg

Brisbane AUS
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

Thanks Arandora

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

No prob. Let us know what you decide please.:-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

Hey there. My wife and I stayed at the Sarojin in August 2010. Some time ago now however I am certain that hings have not changed that drastically since this time. We stayed in a pool residence and it was simply stunning, as were the grounds, the restaurants and the staff. If you want to spoil yourself then this is the place to do it at - very intimate and private, which was terrific.

We only ventured into Khao Lak once - it was very low key at that time of the year as it is well outside of peak season. We spent the balance of the time lazing about the hotel. In all honesty, 1 week was enough for us!

Good luck with your choice!

Brisbane AUS
Level Contributor
46 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

Thanks for the info. It does look sublime :)

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

I'm curious as to why you're not considering a pool villa at Le Méridien which has 6 restaurants, a huge beach and a serene atmosphere?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

The Le M is an excellent very large resort, very popular with families with children. The Saroin is an excellent small boutique resort and is effectively Adults Only. Perhaps one reason? :-)

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
390 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

It's been a few years since I was there but there weren't too many nippers around at the time.

The Sarojin, while it looked fabulous, felt a bit too honeymoon for my personal liking. It was also way more expensive at the time so I'm surprised to hear there's only a 50 dollar difference.

Goteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
9. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

In low season the prices go down, that´s why the price difference isn´t that big between Sarojin and Le Meridien. Le Meridien generally have a fair amount of kids, the fact that LM has the only Kids Club in Khao Lak with staff that provides free day care is one of the reasons for that. Personally I think Sarojin has more of a "thai feeling" than LM which could be located anywhere in South East Asia or India.

10. Re: The Sarojin or The Ramada? 1st time to Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 15:07
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak