We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies in Khao Lak

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies in Khao Lak

Hi everyone, Just getting organised for our hols in ....20 days and counting down!!.

Husband gets bitten usually quite a lot by mozzies and Im getting a stock of product, ie wipes / plug in for the room.

Should we expect to have more mossies in Khao Lak with it being near to the national parks? (more so than in Phuket?)

Thanks again

Donna

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

Hi Donna,

Not sure if they're worse this year but I got bit like never before! My boyfriend normally gets bitten like hell and they avoid me. No such luck this year, Must admit I didn't take anything out with me and bought stuff out there. Any parts of me I missed spraying they got (including toes!)

Good luck with the planning.

Regards

Nicola

Goteborg, Sweden
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

Depends on where you are staying. During our visit in December we didn´t get any bites at Bhandari (Nang Thong Beach) but dozens of bites at Le Meridien (Pak Weeb Beach).

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

As it's a tropical country there are mozzies present and I don't think there's much difference between Phuket and Khao Lak so take a good repellent and make sure he always uses it and he'll be fine.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

Thanks for your replies everyone. Poor you Nicola getting on your toes!! Deffo taking loads now!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

The whole of Khao Lak is essentially National Park, specifically Khao Lak Lamru National Park, the HQ of which is at the high point of the mountain before you drop down into Bang La On. Mossies in my experience are no more prevalent in Khao Lak than in other beach destinations. These are more active from 5pm onwards in the evening but, like all over SE Asia, you need to beware of the risk of Dengue Fever which is transmitted by daytime mossies, which are different. In this case it is prevention as there is no cure. So use repellent by day also and, if you can, use sun cream containing mossie repellent as sold by Boots.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

Great Idea Arandora !

I had no idea Sun Cream with repellent existed. Just had a look and they are two for one at Boots right now

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

Fill your boots at Boots! ;-)

8. Re: Mozzies in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2013, 14:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak