We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the sands... new resort by katathani

australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
the sands... new resort by katathani

Hi does anyone know about this new resort? Could you please tell me what the area is like around the resort? what is the beach like? any local places to eat on the beach?

thank you...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,446 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

The Sands is on Nang Thong Beach up past the Bhandari and Orient Resorts. The beach at that point bis, or rather was, undeveloped and is nicer IMO than other parts nearer to the centre (near Nang Thong Bay Resort). Other than restaurants belonging to neighbouring resorts there are no independent beach restaurants (yet!) nearby but walk further north and (in the Dry Season) there is a row of beach restaurants, bars and massage places just before the creek leading to Bang Niang Beach.

This is a BIG resort and if you look at pics 84-86 in the album at https:/… taken a few weeks ago you will see that there is a long way to go before completion. There didn't appear to be much activity at the time. Even though work carries on throughout the Wet Season, weather permitting, I would have thought that opening early 2013 is more likely than the beginning of the 2012/13 High Season in November even though that is what it says on their website.

New Thai resorts tend to open part before full completion with "soft opening" prices as inducements to book.

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
73 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Nang Thong Bay Resort
Nang Thong Bay Resort
306 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

at least they have a functional website to look at, unlike

beyond resort khao lak, that has been open for several months with a very poor website, info wise.

BIG it is, if that floats your boat....

they have a 40 % offer for advance bookings, into 2013

must agree, it is on a very nice stretch of beach....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,446 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

Functional but still only artists' impressions! Not impressed with any resort that takes bookings with construction nowhere near complete. Leads to huge disappointment for those booking expecting to be one of the first to try out a new resort only to find it is not complete when they arrive or their booking is cancelled because it isn't ready at all.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

Hi, thanks for posting info we too are looking at The Sands, but after looking at the construction site photos it does put me off a little, tempted by the discount but have to book by 31st March, it's a long way to travel to be disappointed especially as on last trip we stayed at Le Meridien! Any further updates would be much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,497 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Nivala, Finland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

I also did look The Sands for our next holiday in january 2013, but maybe it is too risky to book it if it won´t be ready.

I could not find the page for the photos taken few weeks ago. Could somebody put a link, please.

Thank you!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,446 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

Here they are at pics numbers 84 - 86 taken on 1st January. https:/…

Norfolk
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

Reserved our room today for Holiday Feb 2013, flights will be booked much later this year so hopefully it should work out, will be keen on progress of the build !

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,446 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

I'll keep you informed when we return in November!

Australia
Level Contributor
403 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

Walked past it today. Not a lot done, and not much activity. Sign says opening October 2012. Its huge and would need an army of workers to finish, only seen 3 or 4 workers around in last couple of days. I reckon late 2013 at earliest.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the sands... new resort by katathani

Cheers for feedback I reckon what they will do if it's not ready is try to transfer us to Phuket resort, but obviously we want to be in Khao Lak, booking has been taken, feel back up plan needs to be researched!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak