We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
654 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

Booked for 6 nights via Tripadvisor/Sawadee got a fantastic price compared to the price my UK Travel Agent wanted.

They wanted £1300 got it £530 cheaper via Tripadvisor.

Decided to book it on the strength of reviews on here but also the fact that there is a row of beach restaurants adjacent. Cannot wait !

Booked a Deluxe Pool View so hopefully these rooms are good (not that we will spend much time in them).

Can anyone advise if it is best to organise tours using Marriott Concierge/Reception or is there some place elses locally or on the beach I can organise trips to Similian Islands etc ?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

You will find that most of the restaurants offer tour bookings which generally use the same operator so you can shop around for prices which are very competitive.

If you are in Bang La On, the main township, there is a tour operator right at the very end of the southbound dual carriageway opposite the Phew Khao Lak Restaurant that locals claim to be most competitive in Khao Lak.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
654 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

Cheers Arandora. Your reviews and photos of Marriott and the beach/beach restaurants was a very big contributing factor in us booking.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

It's a great resort in a great location. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
654 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

Cannot wait

6 days Marriott Khao Lak

6 days Phu Petra Ao Nang

6 weeks tomorrow !

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Aonang Phu Petra Resort, Krabi Thailand
Aonang Phu Petra Resort...
1,161 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
64 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

Hi Mike:

You're gonna love the Marriott!

I ended up staying 2 nights on the Similans and booked the transfers at one of the restaurants near the Marriott. They were all quoting pretty much the same price (B2,400-2,500) but all quoted one company (Fantastic Similan). They ended up being okay. But I'm guessing that if you wanted more selection of tour companies, it'd be better to go into town and shop around there.

The Pool Access and Pool View rooms are exactly the same inside. The Pool Access are obviously on the ground floor and the View rooms on 2nd and 3rd floors. Great balcony to sit out and read and soak up the sun, although, as you say, you won't be in the room much. But the time you DO spend in the room, you'll enjoy. It's a great property!

For more tips and photos, feel free to check out my blog:

…wordpress.com/2012/03/15/hi-so-in-phuket/

6. Re: After much pontificating I have booked The Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2013, 15:00
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak