We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling around Khao Lak

Congleton, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling around Khao Lak

We will be coming to Khao Lak very soon and I have been reading the posts on this forum to find out all about the area. It looks like an idyllic place.

I would like to know how long it would take a reasonably fit person to cycle from The Sarojin into into the local town. Also I would be glad of recent recommendations for snorkelling trips to good sites not trips fro divers where snorkellers don't get to see anything good.

Final question a bit off topic but has any one from the UK flown with EVA Air and if so what is it like?

Thanks in advance

cloudlea

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

The nearest local township is around Khuk Khak Bus Station, mainly local shops and stores and a few restaurants. Then further south along the highway and down to the beach is Bang Niang, the second largest township on Khao Lak, then further down the highway is Bang La On, the main township.

In terms of distance I can only give approximate times by car to give you an idea of cycle times.

From the Sarojin to the highway about 5 minutes.

From this point on the Highway to Khuk Khak about 10 minutes

From here to Bang Niang 5 minutes

From here to Bang La On 5 minutes.

So to nearest town of note, Bang Niang is about 20 minutes.

A very hot ride along mostly a very busy highway.

See the Maps Sticky at top of the topics list and in FAQs.

There are lots of snorkelling tours (not diving which are quite separate) to the Similan Islands, Koh Tachai (part of Similans National Park but small, very beautiful and number of boats restricted) and the Surin Islands. Information about them in the FAQs to the right.

Recommended local companies include Fantastic Similans, Ruk Talay and Love Andaman. The Sarojin will have details but best to shop around as prices are very competitive at the moment. There is a tour shop on White Sand Beach immediately to the right of the Sarojin. Most offer the same tours at different prices.

We've not flown with Eva but it receives mostly very good reviews.

See http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/eva.htm

Edited: 15 January 2012, 04:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

We stayed at Palm Galleria/Cape Pakarang in 2009 and had the use of their free bicycles.....

We rode from PG to The Sarojin-White Sand beach and back to PG late morning.....Luckily we took 2 bottles of water....

We are also reasonably fit surfers....I can't imagine riding a bike up to Bang Niang let alone Bang La On....!!...??....

The ride won't kill you-the heat will....!!

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

Must concur with the above

We stayed in Bang Niang and often rode down and back to Bang La On

that was enough, even for a fit person used to the heat

Traffic was at times nuts, kept looking behind to see what was always about to hit us...

Get a scooter if you want to travel that far....you will be able to see a lot more as well..but still be very aware on the main road...

Kuraburi Greenview does a snorkel day trip to the surins.

much recommended

we are doing it again this april

much more relaxed, less crowded then the similans, and better snorkelling

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

Hi Monica,

We have flown with Eva a few times and they have always been very good,

Economy Deluxe well worth the extra cost !

Also arr in BKK early morning ( I think ?? )

Sean

Congleton, England...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

Thanks you all for your prompt and helpful replys. Phew, Eva Air looks and sounds fine, Sean we have booked premium economy so I'm glad you think it is worth it.

It looks as if cycling any distance will be a no no due to heat and traffic, I hate cycling in traffic. We will probably hire a car for a few days to do some exploring.

Best company for car hire anyone?

Arandora after seeing your report of a trip to Koh Tachai it is definitely on our list of things to do.

Having seen that it is best to change our money in Thailand we plan to do this whilst at Bangkok airport does that sound like the best idea?

Again Thanks

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
658 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

We always fly east with EVA via Bangkok.

So far (3 times) we have always flown business class but the cost has now almost doubled from the first time we flew and so in March are going in Premium Economy.

We have found them very good and always on time. Let's see how Premium compares to business. Have to say I don't find there do called "flat beds" too comfortable and actually prefer Virgins premium economy seats so hopefully EVA Elite/Premium compares to Virgins Premium.

We have paid £894 return each for EVA premium. I believe economy was £670 and business £1980. First time we paid just £1170 for business and last time £1480 so as you can see the business increase is quite a bit.

By the way, unlike Thai Air London to BKK every seat on EVA gets video on demand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

There is no need to change all of your money at Bangkok Airport. The rate at all the branches of the major banks is the same throughout Thailand, although there is a slight difference between them. Most are represented in Khao Lak with branches in Bang La on, the main township.

See this link for latest day to day rates …daytodaydata.net/default.aspx

8. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 November 2012, 23:29
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

SPAMMER. Please report.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cycling around Khao Lak

I must disagree with the comments on cycling around Khao Lak. I spent two weeks in February 2012 cycling most days and covering 40-60 miles each day. The main raod is busy but the inside lane is used by pedestrians and cyclists and is safer than cycling in most UK cities. Thai drivers are much more aware of two-wheel traffic. Once you head inland the roads are empty and the scenery is wonderful. Roadside stalls and shops are plentiful so drink and refreshments are readily available. The temperature was around 40 degrees but the moving air while cycling keeps you cool. Drink very large amounts and keep on piling on the sun protection cream. I enjoyed it so much that I am back there in a few weeks time to do the same again.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations