We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk in v's pre book

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
Walk in v's pre book

Hi Guys

We are heading over to Thailand in June 2012 & wanting to just move around when & where we want (will have own transport) Nai Yang, Khao Lak, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Kamla etc then back to Phuket to meet up with friends over a period of 3 weeks.

Do you think the walk in prices are good in low season or should i pre book rooms the day before each move on my laptop to get better rates?

cheers

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,802 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk in v's pre book

Hi,

I think off-peak does give you a definite advantage in terms of getting better rates than peak.. but I also think that by doing book-as-you you do still run some risks..

To a point, you're not the only one looking and doing the same thing.. and places that are very popular you might find still booked or at least all the cheaper(est) rooms already taken..

Again, I think you have good odds overall, but just do remember that there is some risk to doing a no-advance booking style.. but on the other hand if you're flexible in terms of where you stay and such, it's a great way to cut down on the lodging costs part of the trip.

Travel Safe,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk in v's pre book

As far as Khao Lak accommodation is concerned I am sure you will get good walk-in rates in June. Whether they will be more favourable than booking in advance is always debatable and just how much time you want to spend "shopping around" when you arrive and the value you put on that only you can say.

It all depends on what type of accommodation you want and, in particular, what standard - 4* 5* or bungalow for instance and location. With advertised rates for the Wet Season already 50% or less than Dry Season, the margin of saving in local independent accommodation is IMO very small. With a large "chain" resort, like the Ramada, J W Marriott or Le Meridien for instance they are more likely to offer on-line specials.

The Kantary on Pak Weeb Beach is offering very low rates but it is a large hotel that will be largely unoccupied and with few restaurants open nearby. But with your own transport that may not be a problem.

The Orchid Beach offers great value in all seasons and is worth considering and contacting.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk in v's pre book

As it's low season, you won't have a problem getting rooms, this would mean you could be more flexible with your plans as it's the monsoon season an the Andaman coast in June and may want to change your plans.

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk in v's pre book

Thanks. We are more the 3 star, nearing 50yr old couple who are happy with a clean room or bungalow. We are flexible with locations & accommodation. We have been to Phuket & Samui before but want to get out further & see more. The monsoon season does not worry us & we actually prefer the low season.

I am doing my research now so I can pick a couple of hotels/resorts in each area & check them out on arrival. I think from the above comments there will be no huge saving for a few days stay by pre booking so this will leave our travel plans more flexible.

If we are enjoying a certain spot we can stay on longer, if not move on to more adventures.

AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
701 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk in v's pre book

If you have your laptop check out a price before you ask for a walk in price. Sometimes you do find a cheaper price on the net and at least you then have room to bargin.

6. Re: Walk in v's pre book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2013, 15:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations