We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

Hi,

We will be travelling to Khao Lak in July and staying at the Kantary Villas. Any suggestions of things to do for the kids that are close by, bearing in mind their ages? Would the elephant tour be too much for the 1 year old? Is the water park in Phuket any good? How far is Phuket anyway? Worth a day trip?

I hear alot of the restaraunts and tours close down during the wet season - hope this doesn't impeed on our holiday too much!

Dearnne

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,161 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

Not sure that I would take my kids on an elephant, particularly the 1 year old. Phuket is about 75 minutes south of Khao Lak, as long as you've got a good swimming pool your kids should be happy.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

I'd agree with Cassnu about the 1 year old being too young. However, iyt is wort a trip to the Sairung Elephant Camp which is about 20 minutes north of the Kantary, local taxis will take you there and back. You can assess for yourself whether you think it is safe for the 6 year old who might be pleased to feed an ellie with bananas even if not having a ride on one. It is a flat track through a rubber plantation to a waterfall and back and you/hubby could take one or both kids to walk alongside with the mahout.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

I have friends that have just returned with a 1 yr old, that had similar ideas to yourself and I think you might find that your 1 yr old will be dictating exactly which 'family' activities you partake in. Thailand is very hot (as you may know) and I think you might find that you will want to have your bub in the cool indoors, for the majority of the time.

Perhaps have a contingency plan where either you or your husband are doing activities/tours with your 6y.o while the other parent is back at the resort watching over bub.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

Thanks Cassnu and Arandora, thought he might be a tad too young! I like the idea of visiting the Sairung Elephant Camp and will put it down on our itinerary.

Fresh-Prince - hubby and I like doing things together as a family so we'd all do something together (unless there is something that one of us really want to do and the other doesn't!!).

Arandora - I hear you are the KL expert :) Can I ask you a few questions?

We are staying at the Kantary Villas - what's your opinion on here?

Would it rain much in July? I know its the wet season and have heard conflicting reports of the weather!

Any other suggestions on the "must do" list?

Is it worth taking a day trip or staying a few nights in Phuket itself?

Thanks again for the input and advice!!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,401 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

Hi,

The Kantary is a large resort being made bigger currently by the addition of 75 more rooms. The rooms are well equipped and furnished. However, it is marketed specifically for the Scandinavian Market for the November - end of March season when numbers from that region are at their highest.

During the Wet (Low) season it is quiet and you should enjoy its peaceful location on Khao Lak's best beach. Although in the middle of the Wet Season you should expect some rain but probably it will be afternoon showers, sometimes heavy. Should be plenty of sun though.

Take care, particularly with the kiddies in the sea as conditions get quite rough. The Kantary though is very child friendly and they have their own pool.

You may find that one or more of the restaurants on the adjacent White Sand Beach stay open during this period depending on the weather, otherwise for dining outside the resort there is the shuttle or taxis into Bang Niang (15 minutes) and Bang La On where most restaurants and shops stay open (20 minutes).

For Things to Do have a look at the FAQs on the right. A trip down to Phang Nga Bay and a ride into the Bay on a longtail boat (it's a sheltered bay so conditions usually good throughout the year) is worth considering as is a ride upto Khao Sok National Park. I'm sure the little ones will love to see the baby turtles at the Turtle Rehabilitation Unit on the Royal Navy Base at Tab Lamu (30 minutes from Kantary) . There are local tours for the first two suggestions but a taxi will get you to the turtles.

As for Phuket, it depends what you want to see and do. I certainly wouldn't pay for extra nights there as well as paying for the Kantary but if you have some to spare it may be a consideration. Members on Phuket Forum will advise on what's to do and where to stay there better than me,

Mentioned in this post
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,169 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

Dearne, I assumed you would want to do things together as a family, hence, the heads up.

7. Re: Travelling with 2 children aged 6 and 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 15:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations