We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Khao Lak

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
First time to Khao Lak

Hi all,

Have been twice to Thailand before with the family [2 adults & 2 teenagers aged 15 & 13] -Bangkok, Phuket- Patong Beach, Chiang Mai, Pattaya - and this year want to mix it up and see some other parts of Thailand, as well as visitng some we have already been to.We are staying at Patong Beach, then on to Karon beach and then to Khao Lak where we are loooking to stay at the Ramada in July. Is there enough to keep us all entertained in this area at this time of the year, [I have read that things do close down in July] - we like relaxing by the pool, heading out to the shops, restaurants &markets etc at night and my husband likes to hire a motorbike and do some exploring, as well as seeing attractions in the area.

Any ideas and opinions would be great

Thank you!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: First time to Khao Lak

* Relaxing by the pool - great pool at the Ramada.

* Going to the shops - 10 mins down the road in Bang La On but nothing you won't have seen and more of in Phuket.

* dining around - both near the Ramada and more in Bang La On.

* markets - Monday, Wednesday & Saturday from 2pm to 6pm at top of Bang Niang Beach Road.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 11:24
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: First time to Khao Lak

Thanks Arandora for your help. We will actually be in a large extended family group so it is a lot about relaxing and having a good time together. I actually printed off a map you had suggested and I am beginning to think that the Mukdara may be a bit closer to street, which is important for us as my nephew is in a wheelchair, so the shorter they have to travel to the street the better -it was on my short list as it read really well and seemed to have good pool areas and things for the kids. What is your opinion of the both properties? Any extra advice would be welcome!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: First time to Khao Lak

Hi,

The Mukdara is a bigger property and depending which accpommodation you book you could still find yourself a distance from the main entrance on the beach road. The Deluxe Hotel Rooms are nearer Reception and the road. Here are a few pics from 2008 but it is essentially the same https:/…

Although the mainentrance to the Ramada is up a flight of steps, there is ramped accesss for wheelchairs. The ground floor deluxe lanai rooms would be best suited for access (they are great rooms anyway).

Pics from last year at https:/…

My personal preference is the Ramada.

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: First time to Khao Lak

Hi,

We think you will find Khao Lak ticks all your boxes in July. Yes. there is a lot of discussion about Khao Lak being very quiet in July/August, but having been in Khao Lak for the past 3 August's, we always find plenty to do.

Lots of restaurants open near the Ramada/Mukdara and your husband should have a wonderful time exploring on a motor bike.

Being a large family group, you should have no trouble finding a restaurant and not having to wait to get the table you want.

tanmar

5. Re: First time to Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 16:02
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak