We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Had a great time

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Had a great time

We got back from Khao lak on Thursday and had a wonderful time there. We stayed at La Flora Resort and Spa and we really loved it there. It is in a great position, on a lovely beach and a short walk to shops and restaurants. We ate at Green Pepper, Lucky Seafood and Hill Tribes away from the beach. We had a lovely evening with Alan and Barbara (Arandora) at Hill Tribes, the food there was different and delicious. It was lovely to meet them, Alan had given me such a lot of help in choosing where to be in Khao Lak so thanks for that.

We had lots of meals on the beach at Tomsins, Dragon and Chong Fah restaurant. We also had a lovely meal at La Flora to celebrate the king's birthday. That was very special with fireworks and Chinese lanterns being let off. We did quite a bit of cycling so it was lovely to explore the area that way. We were allowed the bikes free for two hours a day. We had a lovely relaxing holiday, plenty of swimming and walking along the beach finding different places to have a drink or lunch. We found a lovely spot when we crossed the water on the ferry. It is such a short crossing, we walked across one day when it was very shallow and the ferry wasn't there. We stopped at a bar called Cream and Kim's where we sat on deck chairs, had a drink and some lunch and just watched the world go by. It is so peaceful on the beach at Bang Niang, no crowds, just heaven. I would love to go back and would gladly stay at La Flora again as we were completely happy there. Thanks again Alan for all your advice, it was lovely to meet you.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,141 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Chong Fah Restaurant
Chong Fah Restaurant
239 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Had a great time

Same with you two, too! :-)

So glad you enjoyed Khao Lak and La Flora. It's really a pity there aren't more visitors here at the moment!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,141 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
766 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Had a great time

I enjoyed reading your report. Khao Lak area sounds like such a relaxing place to spend well deserved holiday time. It appears that you did try a variety of places to eat which is one thing we are looking to do when we are there. Can you suggest anywhere we must not miss for lunch or dinner?

Andy

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Had a great time

Lots of recommendations for restaurants in the FAQs on the right and in the Restaurant reviews.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Had a great time

We will be there in May so will definitely try the Hill tribes, in what way was the food different?

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Had a great time

Andy and Chrella, first of all there are so many restaurants to choose from that you are spoilt for choice really. We had a lovely meal at Green Pepper (not the one on the beach). I had tempura prawns and spaghetti carbonara just as a change from the Thai food that I ate for the rest of the two weeks. The beach restaurants were cheaper and very good too and as we loved dining on the beach they are the ones we ate at most.

Hill Tribes serves northern Thailand food, I thought the food there was lovely. We let Alan (Arandora) choose for us as he had been before and as we loved everything. We had lovely fish cakes, wonderful lemon chicken and prawns in whisky if I remember correctly as well as delicious starters. It was a change from the usual sweet and sour, chicken with cashew nuts etc that I had at the beach restaurants although that was nice too.

I would definitely recommend Hill Tribes.

Mentioned in this post
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
412 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Had a great time

Arrived back from our holiday in Khao Lak and Hong Kong just before Christmas. We had a good time in Khao Lak but not sure I would want to stay five months perhaps Arandora you have discovered something we missed!

We stayed in a pool access roonm at La Flora and it was definitely worth the upgrade. Room very large and comfortable,we both slept well. Not sure about the beach villas as they are directly in front of four rows of sunbeds,no privacy at all.The hotel was not full during our visit and we had no problems getting sunbeds by the beach but it might be difficult if the hotel is fuller.Very good buffet breakfast with eggs cooked to order. We ate at the hotel two evenings excellent service and good value for a hotel meal.Other restaurants we used were Green Pepper,near the market,Chong Fah,very good but smallish portions,Mali,good for fish and Sawasdee,probably the best and a chaotic very cheap place on the road just past the Mukara Beach hotel.

We used Beautiful Khao Lak for a trip to see the elephants it is run by a very nice Belgian woman,her office is just before the bureau de change on the road from La Flora to the market.I also had a very good massage at a beach place just past the Ramada Hotel.

The weather was mixed some rain but also lovely sunshine.Would we go to Khao Lak again? Not sure as their are so many places in the world still on our list to vist but it was good for an eight day stay.

Thanks to everyone who helped plan our visit and it was good to meet you forestred and to hear you had a great two weeks.We had a fantastic time in Hong Kong with my son and his family.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,141 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Had a great time

Hill Tribes serves Chiang Mai based cuisine, nearby Khao Niau serves great Isan cuisine.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,447 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Had a great time

Sorry joandgr, our posts crossed.

Having a few days, a week or two's vacation in Khao Lak is entirely different to using it as base for Home from Home away from the UK Winter (and current Doom and Gloom). Over the years we have made many friends over here, Thai and International, many returning like us for varying lengths of time and renewing annual friendships. Having a hire car and getting beyond the popular areas soon brings you into real Thailand with its natural beauty and lovely people.

As pensioners (well I will officially be one soon!) our income goes much further and more enjoyably out here.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Had a great time

Nice to meet you too Joandgr, glad you enjoyed your time in Hong Kong.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Had a great time

We loved Hill Tribes and had the Khan Tok dinner. It was fun to eat on the raised platform and recline on the "couches". We ordered the khan toke dinner and were able to sample a variety of delicious Northern Thai dishes.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak