We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
958 posts
27 reviews
Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Hello

We are thinking of booking Christmas and New Year 2012 with our two little girls for 2012. Does anyone have any experience on which hotel would be the best - we're thinking Le Meridien, Kantary Beach Hotel or JW Marriott. We want a good kids club (not in that we'd leave our kids there but there would be lots of other children to play with/around and activities to do?), we'd like luxury, we'd like to be able to walk to other restaurants on the beach (obviously we would not be out each night as the girls go to bed early - ish). We'd like a lovely beach to sunbathe and play on, good pools and quite important I suppose - nice weather! Is the weather nice in December? Any help or advice would be greatfully appreciated to help us plan our once in a lifetime holiday. Many thanks!

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

hi,have stayed at all 3 hotels and our favourite is the le meridien.

from what you have posted i would say that possibly the kantary beach would be your best choice.

this resort is specifically aimed at families with shallow pools etc. aimed at the youngsters.it also has a on site shop to hire buggies etc.( although you will probably not want these) as well as a very good mini mart with sensible prices.

the other thing we liked was that hotel restaurant prices included the 17% tax and service charges that other hotels add on.

the kantary is set on white sand beach with 3 very good beach restaurants to the right and the boathouse to the left.

we stayed in a villa which was well furnished and very well maintained with every thing you will require for your stay including mugs,plates cereal bowls and cutlery for when you want that snack but do want to go to a restaurant.

all 3 hotels are a little bit isolated but is easy enough to get into town by taxi or hotel shuttle.

happy planning!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

I'd tend to agree with my friend NB1 but I prefer the setting of the Le M. It has a great kids' club, a family wing and own large pool with "lazy river" running t and from it.

When booking look out for the "Compulsory Gala Dinner" supplements which many hotels add and which you have to pay whether you partake or not. Some agencies may include these in their rates.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
958 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Thanks both thats very helpful. I like the look of the beach at Kantary Beach but like the sound of the Le Meridien! Which would you say, is the most luxurious? We are looking at packages and both include gala dinners but thanks for the heads up. Thanks again for your help.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

le meridien wins every time as far as i am concerned but that is my personal preference and would not regret returning to the kantary one day.

nb1

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

We are in the JWM at the moment, staying here for the first time for a few days and we are very impressed with it and its facilities. We are in the wing that has family accommodation and kiddies facilities. We already love the location. I would rate it on a par with JWM and believe you would be very happy at either.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
958 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Hi Arandora, is that the Marriott thats on Khuk Khak Beach? The one with the swimming pool that goes all the way round? I really like the look of this one, could you tell more about it - what did you think of the restaurants, are there restaurants on the beach and massage huts too? Do they do a free shuttle into town? Were there children there (I know you tend to stay away from the now!!), do you think it would be a nice place for two little girls - are the childrens facilities good? Is the beach nice? What type of room did you stay in? If you stayed in a duplex or swim up room would you say it is roomy enough for 2 adults and 2 small girls? Sorry to ask so many questions! I hope you can help! Many thanks, Emma.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
958 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Hi Arandora, is that the Marriott thats on Khuk Khak Beach? The one with the swimming pool that goes all the way round? I really like the look of this one, could you tell more about it - what did you think of the restaurants, are there restaurants on the beach and massage huts too? Do they do a free shuttle into town? Were there children there (I know you tend to stay away from the now!!), do you think it would be a nice place for two little girls - are the childrens facilities good? Is the beach nice? What type of room did you stay in? If you stayed in a duplex or swim up room would you say it is roomy enough for 2 adults and 2 small girls? Sorry to ask so many questions! I hope you can help! Many thanks, Emma.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Hi Emma,

Yes the JWM is on Khuk Khak Beach with a selection of very good beach restaurants mainly to the right, our favourites being Ma Ma Greetings where we will be dining at sunset tomorrow and where we go regularly whether staying at JWM or not. Our next favourite is Tew Son but the others look good too. Every other place is a massage place.

There are two wings to the JWM. 1/3 in the newer wing is family accommodation with children's facilities. Room types are the same throughout the resort. Ground floor direct pool access with a "river" running all round the resort with swim-up bars and connecting to the main pool that goes from Reception down to the beach. Depths in this "river" vary but you can paddle most of the way around.

There is a shuttle (not sure whether it is free as we have our own transport) and plenty of taxis waiting for business.

At the moment there are plenty of children about, mainly pre-schoolers, but more of school age will arrive when schools are on holiday. Children's facilities look good with a dry play area and a water slide.

Khuk Khak Beach is a beautiful beach with quite a good frontage between the hotel loungers and the ocean.

We are in a pool access room which has one very large King Sized bed. I'm not sure what family accommodation comprises. Best asking the resort for suitable room types. All family pool access rooms have toughened glass panels with an access door to the pool. Non-family accommodation have direct pool access. So family wing recommended.

We have just returned after an excellent dinner in the Thai restaurant. The price was 650 baht ++ (taxes plus service charge) per person which was included in our TravelZoo deal plus 1350 baht ++ for cheapest but decent bottle of Aussie Red, which wasn't! Our meal last night at Tew Son was 1000 baht total.

See pics at https:/…

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
958 posts
27 reviews
9. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

Thank you so much Arandora, I think this has probably 'swung' it for us! We have travelled in Thailand 3 times before having children but this time I want to be sure we get it absolutely right for the girls and for us too, as this will be the furthest we will have taken them so far! The restaurants on the beach look like heaven and ideal for us, we won't be going out as such at night and have no need for bars or nightlife. A glass of wine and a nice meal will do us just nicely. The hotel looks perfect and your pictures have made me very jealous. Actually, we were in Thailand for Christmas and New Year 2004 and stayed on Samui, we were on Samui when the Tsunami struck and it was such a shock to us. We have been back since but never to Khao Lak where I understand most of the devastation took place. I think it looks the ideal place for our holiday next year. Thank you so much for all your help and advice. We can't wait to come back!

10. Re: Xmas and NY in Khao Lak with a 4 and 6 year old - Hotels??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2012, 15:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations