We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Arabian Horse Club

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
South Arabian Horse Club

Another addition to the various attractions Khao Lak has to offer.

For anyone interested in some serious horse riding on beautiful South Arabian stallions, the South Arabian Horse Club, which was set up by its Thai owner, Jo, originally as his private stables and paddock, now offers horse riding tours.

There are basically two tours, one lasting at least 2 hours from the Club premises up and down trails through rubber plantations and parts of the surrounding forest and hills.

The second is at least 3 hours which takes you again up and down forest trails, then across the highway and down to Khuk Khak Beach near the J W Marriott, across the creek on to Pakarang Beach, along past Memories Beach Club and the Apsaras and other resorts to the Cape and back to base.

The 2 hour tour costs 2000 baht per rider and the 3 hour tour 3000 baht per person. This includes loan of riding boots, chaps and hard riding helmets plus bottles of water for what can prove to be a hot and thirsty journey.

The stables are immaculate, the horses professionally groomed and looked after and your ride is selected according to your previous riding experience. A tip here: when asked by the owner, Jo, to rate your horse riding expertise on a scale of zero to 5 you need to be very honest in order to get a mount that is suited to you. Otherwise it could be dangerous for you as well as the animal.

We have just returned after taking our daughter and her husband on the beach tour which they both enjoyed immensely. There were 5 riders in the party, 3 guests plus the owner and another trained rider who both looked after their guests attentively all the way, only allowing them, for instance, to canter on the beach when they were convinced it was OK for them to do so.

Age range would be tens and upwards I would have thought or youngster with existing riding experience.

Pics including some video at the end at https:/…

Contact Joe (no website yet) on 081 893 1571

Directions to get there:

Go north along Highway 4 through Bang Niang and Khuk Khak, pass the petrol station on your left. At the bottom of the hill go over the bridge and take first right at "Scandinavian Corner" Bar (about 100 metres before the entrance to the J W Marriott and adjacent Temple), signposted South Arabian Horse Club and Khao Lak Golden Hill Driving Club. Turn left 800 metres up this road and follow the signs to the Club.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Memories Beach Bar
Memories Beach Bar
661 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Golden Beach Resort
Golden Beach Resort
1,010 Reviews
Ao Nang, Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

Thanks for that info Alan

I wish I had known about it when we were there recently.....oh well next time hey? something more to look forward to in Khao Lak :-)

I would love to do that and yes I have riden quite a bit but haven't done it for 10 years so might need a bit of a nag to practice on to start with haha

beats the donkeys on the beach at Blackpool lol

great photo's and looks like the kids had a lot of fun.....

cheers

mossy :-)

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Perth
Level Contributor
577 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

Tally ho old chap!!! Those poms look like their off to the hunt.... Where are the beagles and the hunting horns??

Give way to the elephants and is that cocotang sneaking into the picture on his surf board??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

All of that .... and more! LOL

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

YouTube video at www.youtube.com/watch…

singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

Wow, I didn't realise there was horseriding on Khao Lak. I ride every week but am not a confident rider. Are these horses quiet/bombproof/jumpy? Did they act like they were unfazed by the waves and traffic etc? Do they provide transfers? thanks in advance

Edited: 12 December 2011, 19:34
Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

Hope you don't mind me asking, how did your daughter rate her riding on 1 to 5, does she ride regularly?

Edited: 12 December 2011, 19:37
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

She rated herself zero as she has only ridden twice in her life. Her husband had not ridden for years so rated himself 2. Their horses were selected accordingly. It was the King's Birthday and at one point near the beach some firecrackers were let off. Whilst the horses reacted, their guide helped keep them well under control. They only crossed the highway once going, once coming back and someone from the stables went ahead on a motorbike to ensure they got safely across.Don't know about transfers. Best to phone the number shown on the pics when you arrive to find out and what time slots are available.

singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

Thank you so much arandora. It sounds like the place is well managed with responsibility. I really hope to find time to squeeze in and I know friends who are always looking for places to ride in the region too. Thanks again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

New link to picture album. Link in OP doesn't work https:/…

singapore
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: South Arabian Horse Club

hi Arandora, have you been by Joe's recently? I had a nice ride in Dec last year and am booked to go again to Khao Lak 9 Aug with a friend. We want to have an easy going ride together. I mailed Joe but he hasn't replied. I rem he was really slow with email tho. Thinking to call him, just wondered if you had any news/updates.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations