We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

We are planning to stay in both Phuket (Karon Beach) and Khao Lak next year and will be needing a good driver to transfer us from Karon to Khao Lak.

Does anyone know of a very good safe driver (english speaking)?

And any idea how much this should cost?

Thanks, Bec :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Hi Becs

we meet again haha

Yes only one driver that I would recommend and that's Boss of cheaper than hotel taxi's......he runs a brilliant service and both himself and his drivers are excellent, we have used him for 2 years for both transfers and tours for ourselves, friends and also our adult kids that went to Khao Lak too, highly recommended :-)

from Patong to Khao Lak was 1700bhat for 2 of us, so depends on how many people too for they type of vehicle he uses, maybe 2000bhat?

1000bhat to the airport for 2 ppl

e-mail him for a quote and you will get a very quick response

cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

we stopped off on the way up too at Lampi waterfalls and the Turtle Sanctury or you could stop somewhere nice for lunch, it's a lovely drive up there

happy planning Becs :-)

Level Contributor
230 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Sorry to say " Boss " never did work out for us.

Possibly a language problem, however the tour we requested, never did exist, the driver did not speak English ( not his fault).

WhenI did speak to " Boss " he appeared to understand what we wanted, spoke to the driver en route, and still we did overpay.

When I suggested a partial refund - he just did not understand?

We were disappointed, especially after giving him a " second chance "

I would personally NEVER recommend "Boss"

Also I never write negative reviews.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Hi

quote:....

"Possibly a language problem, however the tour we requested, never did exist, the driver did not speak English ( not his fault" ???

what tour did you request that didn't exsist???

were you clear in your e-mails on what you wanted?

I always explain everything fully in my e-mails and confirm and re-confirm before going away just to make sure everything is right.....not just with Boss but with everyone (hotels too) as it is hard with the language barrier (they must get sick of my e-mails haha)

they are usualy excellent and we, or any of our friends and family using him, have never had any problems what so ever with any of his services or drivers

hope you have better luck next time :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

I too have used Boss based on mossy's great recommendations. Thanks again for that mossy :-)

We had transfer from Patong to Khao Lak and Khao Lak to Phuket airport. For our Patong-Khao Lak transfer we had a driver who didn't speak much English but boy he sure loved to sing lol!!! Especially old soppy songs and man did we have a great ol' time doing karaoke with him on our drive up hahaha!!!

Our second transfer was with a different driver, no singing though, mind you this was at an ungodly hour of 5am!!! Both drivers were right on time, even the 5am driver was there early!

Mossy - you know I'm exactly like you in terms of checking then double checking then triple checking checking just in case. I guess with my day job I have to be super duper accurate so it just flows with everything else I do especially travel. Hahaha I know what you mean about them being sick of our emails cuz sometimes I'm like 'Gawd they must think I'm crazy' lol!!! But on the flip side we've never had checking in problems or transfer problems.

Cosmos - it's a shame Boss didn't work out for you. I hope you have better luck next time! Because we booked Boss at the last minute, he was the one actually double checking my dates & times cuz I had mixed them up due to our last minute rush at the time. We just had simple transfers with him & haven't actually had a tour so I can't comment on that.

Cheers, Coco

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Hi Coco

I know that driver haha we also call him speedy (in a safe way though) haha,,,and Sunya we have used 2 years running for our Khao Sok and lakes tour....he is such a great guy and so funny we have had lots of laughs with him :-)

done a few tours through Boss and all worked out good

we done one tour for a day to Krabi which was a great day and gave us a taste for Krabi which we inteded to visit this year but of course can't fit everything in....unless we only done a few days here and there but my hubby would kill me dragging him from pillar to post and not having time to settle and relax haha

have Koh Samui, Chaing Mai and Krabi on the list but without spending like 6 weeks (at least) how do I get away from my new baby Khao Lak haha

glad that I'm not the only crazy person with my e-mails and paranoid over getting everything right lol :-))

Edited: 03 December 2011, 04:56
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Gday mossy :-)

Hahaha you had the Singing Speedy too isn't he just fun!!! The sad thing is we knew the words to all these ol fogey songs too gawwdd now I'm really showing my age lol!!!

What did you think of Krabi?? Did you arrange a day trip there from Khao Lak?? Gosh I'm always getting great ideas from you hope you don't mind :-) Haven't got plans in concrete for Thailand next year but I'm always stocking up on holiday ideas. Some people hoard stuff I hoard holiday plans hahaha!!!

I know what you mean about trying other places. I've got Krabi & Koh Samui on our to go to list too & Koh Chang but they're not as easy to get there as Phuket. Call me lazy but sometimes I just can't be bothered catching too many flights on a holiday lol!!! That's why I was so excited when I read about Khao Lak being so close to Phuket & was definitely so happy we experienced beautiful KL!!

We did venture up to Chiang Mai last year though. Thoroughly enjoyed our time even though there was no beach for us beach bunnies. Just very relaxed, laid back & great culture. Thoroughly recommend it mossy :-)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
7. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Hi Coco

loved Krabi although yes it was only a day tour from Khao Lak organized through Boss, a long day and obviously didn't get to see everything but if you want to just go as a little taster then worth doing it, some great markets on at Phang Nga town on the way home haha (story about the Krabi tour in my last year JBR for khaolak sept 10) i have the link if you want to read it!!

Boss charged us 2500bhat for the day and we had another good driver, Ruth (pronounced Ruut)

would love to go to Krabi to stay sometime too, some beautiful scenery there and so much to see and do around the place as we didn't have a lot of time, beach was nice but not as nice as Khao lak beaches (IMO)

you should also spend more time in Khao lak to explore too, the tours to khao sok and lakes are fantastic

thanks for the tip on CM and will deffinatly do that at some stage as our city part of the holiday, love Bangkok too

cheers

Mossy :-)

Level Contributor
230 posts
65 reviews
8. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Okay!

The driver not speaking English was not really a problem. I realize that we are in Thailand.

I did ask for a " tour ", for about 5 hours going from Khao Lak to Mai Khao .

I also asked for recommendations.

En route I realized the driver wasn't stopping anywhere, so he did telephone "Boss " .

We got two stops and 2 1/4 hours later we had checked into our new hotel.

I e_mailed "Boss" that I was disappointed. His previous e mail to me stated 2,000 bht, round trip - which we did pay.

I let him know where we would be staying and that possibly another driver would stop by and give us a partial rebate.

This was the part that "Boss " never understood.

This was also the second chance I spoke of in my previous post .

Even a small rebate would have been appreciated as I feel 2 1/4 hours for 2,000 bht was cheating me.

We really enjoyed our stay in both Khao Lake and also Mai Khao.

Today we are off to the aquarium and tonight returning to the week end market in Phuket Town.

Home is coming way to soon!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
9. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Hi cosmos

thanks for explaining your situation to me, very understandable how these things happen :-(

it seems like a bit of a miscommunication and misunderstanding to me!

as the quote was for 2000bhat 'round trip tour' (as in a return fare?) to Mai Khao which seems like he thought you were returning back to the hotel in Khao Lak? as it is 1000bhat one way to the airport and Mai Khao is very close to the airport.....just north of it! so a return would be 2000bhat!

but as you were doing a single transfer between hotels with some sightseeing thrown in on the way could also account for the 2000bhat charge?........however seems that you didn't do any sightseeing either? and seems that he didn't understand what you wanted? all a bit mixed up by the sounds of it to me?.......

a bit of a shame and disappointing for you too, sorry that you had a bad experience with Boss, he is a very nice man and runs an excellent service

hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Phuket, Mai Khao is a beautiful beach, and the weekend markets are brilliant haha sooooo many bargains to be had........happy shopping :-)

ah! holidays go way too quickly after the long countdowns that we do to get there......have fun for the rest of your time

cheers

Mossy :-)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
795 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Driver from Phuket to Khao Lak - good driver & how much cost

Well it sounds like Boss is very popular & very good price.

I actually decided to contact our driver John that we used when we were there in June & he has offered us a really good deal in good comparison to what Boss charges. So I think we will stick with him as we know him & he was very reliable.

Our Travel Agent quoted us $295 one way from Karon Beach to Khao Lak, and the same again from Khao Lak to the Airport - NO WAY!!!

Thanks guys!

Bec :)

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak