We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Are there many choices to find good quality scooters, say 150-200cc's, in Khao Lak or should I go looking closer to Patong? This would be low season 2012.

We want to ride around to Krabi to stay a few days.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Khao Lak is quite a long way from Krabi - a different province. Patong is also a long way from Krabi, again different provinces. I'd suggest taking a bus to Krabi, find a hotel, and then decide. Scooters, and any kind of motorcycle, are the single most dangerous form of transport in Thailand, and low season means rain, which makes it even more hazardous.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Agree with everything said by bbtony.

There are plenty of scooter rentals in Khao Lak but as pointed out, Krabi is a long way from Krabi - 2-3 hours by car over, at times, very twisty roads. Not a journey for a scooter. Similarly Patong to Khao Lak is about the same time but very busy on Phuket and although a long straight highway off the island to Khao Lak, this holds dangers with fast traffic, big lorries and express buses, in both directions and often locals coming at you in the cycle lane on the wrong side of the road.

Remember also that scooters very often come UNinsured, so make sure you get one that is insured, or that your travel insurance covers you, that you have an International Driving Permit that covers you in your own country if you are going for one of the bigger bikes (if you don't have this any insurance will be invalid anyway!), that you get good helmets - and wear them.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

You are better off hiring a big bike than a scooter, which you can do in Khao Lak.

West Coast
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Love the suggestion of renting a bike (a mountain bike?) -- any recommendations in the Bang Niang area to do this? We are staying at chong fah resort. Thank you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Green Biking Club on the left of the beach road up towards the highway.

West Coast
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Thanks for the reco. I just checked their website and they look good. Do you happen to know how much they charge for a one day rental (don't want to do any of the bike tours)?

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
7. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Thank you & I will take everyone's comments on board. We are both International Motorbike licensed with full travel insurance covering bikes up to 200cc & both been riding for 25-35 years each. We have ridden in Thailand & Bali before so are aware of the many dangers out there. Helmets are a must!

We were looking at scooters because of our insurance limits & like to take it slow & easy. I know the distances between these towns & are happy to make the trips over a day each with stays in each town for a few days.

Although we never ride after drinking, after dark, speed or ride recklessly it can happen to us & we are fully aware of this. Thank you again for your help.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Good that you are experienced motor cyclists. Most are not with often tragic consequences.

Safe travels however you decide to do it. :-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
9. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

"Krabi is a long way from Krabi..!!??"....LOL....Too many bintang Mr.A...!!??...

Khao Lak Seafood also has mountain bikes for rent 15steps....100 baht per day....Tho' if somebody could confirm that Khao lak Seafood has reopened ...??....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Scooter / Motorbike rentals

Hi Cliff,

Just testing that everyone is awake!!! LOL

I'll check on Khao Lak Seafood later as we pass it or tomorrow if we stay local. Decisions, decisions!!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak