We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

I have read the FAQ's about tipping and feel that I have got it right in the past with the maids, porters etc. However I am unsure how much would be a decent tip for the taxi driver on a trip costing 1000 baht. I know this subject can cause controversy but any help would be appreciated. I don't mind tipping at all and would hate not to give a decent one. Thanks in advance.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

I'm not much of a tipper, but if I've agreed a price with a taxi driver I just pay that price. If its on a meter (which is a miracle in itself if you get it that way, well for me) I just round it up .... e.g. 367 baht then make it 400.

Once we had a ride from this tuk tuk on Lanta, it was 140 baht. But the as it was actually quite a long drive we gave him 200 baht. Even then we thought it was a bargain. One tuk tuk we used regularly made us a music CD on our last night of his fav Thai pop music. Thought that was very nice. He was always good value for us and was in line with the prices that we expected to pay.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Thanks for your views bionic .

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

With a regular taxi, then I'[d just pay the fare. A tip isnn't expected but 50 baht or 100 at moost if that makes you happy. :-)

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

I'd also say that 100 baht tip for a long (safe and comfortable) trip is generous enough.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,634 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Thank you Arandora and Fourbe2, that has helped me, that isn't as much as I was expecting but will tip 100 then. I just didn't want to be too mean or over the top either.

Looking forward to seeing you there Alan, not long for you now :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

Most places is either no tipping or only small change. The main exception is in massage places, especially those on the beach where typically a tip of 100 baht is really appreciated as the girls/guys often rent their table or place and only get a small portion of the charge.

Yep. 5 days to go.:-))

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
412 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

So we don't tip in bars and restaurants? Hope the weather improves as we leave for Khao Lak in ten days time.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Just leave the odd change, or "Keep the change". Only small amounts though.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
46 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

What about tips to beach boys?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

Thai wait staff make very little money and a tip would be extremely appreciated. 50 baht is a meal to them but pocket change to most tourists. But it also depends on the restaurant. The higher end ones you should always leave a tip.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak