We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Hi All

We are going to be in Khao Lak in a week or two.

We are already doing a trip to Phi Phi Island, and would like to plan another day trip, but can't work out where to go between:

- Phang Nga Bay on a sailboat tour; or

- A similan islands tour.

What do peoeple recommend? Am I right in guessing that the similians is better for beaches and snorkelling, and phang nga is better for sightseeing etc?

Thanks

Stuart

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Having been to both, I'd vote for Phangnga Bay just for the stunning scenery. The Similans are pretty but it stuck me as a long way to go to see pretty beaches which you can see elsewhere too.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

I'd vote for Similan as you will see PhiPhi already and the landscape there is similar (same area) as to Phangnga.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

The beaches and views from them are really only a secondary reason for going to the Similans. It is the UNDERwater life that is the main attraction. Personally, I'd change the Phi Phi trip to do Phang Nga Bay and the Similans. Phi Phi isn't what it used to be, sadly!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Thanks a lot guys.

I think that we are sold on the Similans, but now I have to ask whether we should go to the Similans or Surin? We will probably only be snorkelling.

Also who are the best tour operators to go out with? We would just be doing a day trip from JW Marriott?

Thanks again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

It takes longer to get to the departure pier for the Surins, which is at Kuraburi about 75 minutes north, as opposed to the Similans, which is at Tab Lamu about 30 minutes south. Speedboat trip from either pier is about 75 minutes.

The consensus from those going recently for the snorkelling and underwater attractions is that the Surins has it. From our visits to both I would agree.

The best operator to the Surins is Kuraburi Greenview who are bookable through most tour agents locally when you arrive.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,878 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Hi Unit 0000

concur with above

scenery is a bit more dramatic at similans but snorkelling at surins

far better and more time in the water

plus we really enjoyed the drive thru the country to and from the pier.

great to see some local real life...

Enjoy...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Thanks guys

I think i'm sold on the Surins.

Should I book beforehand or wait until I get to the Marriott in Khao Lak?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

Wait until you arrive and shop around at the tour shops in Bang La On for best price for Kuraburi tour.

9. Re: Similans or Phang Nga Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2012, 08:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak