We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

Toronto
Level Contributor
706 posts
4 reviews
Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

Hello everybody and Arandora

I've read in one of the old threads, Arandora mentioned that you can hire a long tail boat to explore Phang Nga Bay without joining a tour.

Please help me with the details on how to do this from Le Meridien Khao Lak and how much approx. this would cost. I've joined a tour from Phuket a few years back and do not want to repeat many parts of the tour, just would like to admire the beauty of the bay without the tour for a couple of hours.

Also, it is possible to visit Hong Island by long tail boats or is it too far?

thank you for your help.

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

Go get yourself from Le Meridien to Phangnga by bus or rented car. Get down to one of the pier(s), rent a longtailboat, off you go! Cost: Longtailboat rental for half a day around 2500, car rental for a day from 1500.

Yes, it's possible to go to Hong Island by Longtailboat. If you can get into the Hong (lagoon) depends on the tide. Cheers,

Alex

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

We go to the pier and pay about 1400 baht per couple for a longtail boat tour of the Bay plus about 400 baht to stop off at a Sea Canoe platform and hire canoe with paddler/guide to take you through the mangroves and around and inside a couple of Hongs. You can negotiate this tour to suit how long you want to go out into the Bay for and whether you want to use the sea canoes. The trip usually goes out to James Bond Island as a turning point but it is optional (and debatable) whether you want to get out onto the island (and pay 200 baht for the privilege) or head back to the pier stopping off at the floating Muslim Village on the way there or back.

If you mean Hong Island as opposed to the Hongs generally, Hong Island is more generally accessed from Krabi and/or part of the 4 Island tour from there. That would make for a long but doable day from Khao Lak if you have a hire car.

If you are thinking of hiring a car have a look at the directions to Phang Nga (and other suggestions) at tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c167750/Kha…

Toronto
Level Contributor
706 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

thank you so much for the advice.

I am still hesitant about renting a car, (not familiar with driving on the left side of the road), So probably will get a taxi to Phang Nga pier.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

Contact a local driver such as Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis at cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com and hire car and driver and take in other sights like the Monkey Temple just the other side of Phang Nga City.

See pics at https:/…

Port Stephens...
Level Contributor
417 posts
246 reviews
5. Re: Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

We did this ourselves 2 years ago. We were staying in Phuket & drove ourselves to Phang Nga Bay. You can organise a driver to take you out to the Bay, wait for you, then drive you back.

We negotiated a rate to take us to James Bond Island, the Muslim floating Village for lunch (wander around & pick your own restaurant you do not have to eat where the longtail drops you off), then on the way back we ventured into one of the cave like lagoons & a pretty little beach area for a swim. I dont remember the price as there were a group of us friends & we went out in 2 longtails.

We had an awesome day with some beautiful scenery that I will never forget. Best to go early in the day as the afternoon got a bit windy & choppy coming home. I am not a boat person but handled this trip no worries.

6. Re: Phang Nga Bay and Hong Island from Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 21:46