We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info about Khao Lak

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
339 posts
35 reviews
Info about Khao Lak

Hello,

In November I will be staying in the JW Marriot Hotel.

I would like to know the following:

How is the hotel? Is it good? is it far from the main area?

Where can I rent a car?

Are there any Supermarkets near the hotel?

Are there any tailors near the hotel?

Is there a zoo in Khao Lak where i could take my son to?

Are there any nice Thai food restaurants near my hotel?

Is there a place where i could get a foot massage nearby?

Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Info about Khao Lak

How is the hotel? Is it good? is it far from the main area? - It's a nearly new %* luxury resort, one of the best in Khao Lak. It is located on the beautiful Khuk Khak Beach a short trip by hotel shuttle or taxi from the main townships of Bang Niang (10 minutes) and Bang la On (15 minutes)

Where can I rent a car? - locally the best place is from the Budget franchise located at the Smile Restaurant, Car Hire and Tours in Bang La On - contact Oor or Francky through http://www.smilekhaolak.com/index.html

There is also a Hertz office on the main highway in Bang Niang near the Police Boat.

Remember you need an International Driving Permit as well as your own DL to drive legally in Thailand. Also ensure your hire includes First Class Insurance cover.

Are there any Supermarkets near the hotel? - a new small shopping plaza was being built just outside the main entrance when we left Khao Lak in April. Whether it is finished and whether it contains a mini-mart remains to be reported on. The nearest mini-mart is a 711 at the corner to the entrance to the daily indoor market near Khuk Khak bus station on the way to Bang Niang where there are more. The biggest supermarket is the Nang Thong Supermarket in the centre of Bang La On.

Are there any tailors near the hotel? - not unless one in the plaza or one sprung up on the beach. More than enough in Bang Niang and Bang La on, my recommendation being the longest established Monty the Tailor in Bang La On.

Is there a zoo in Khao Lak where i could take my son to? - there is a small "zoo" (and I mean small!) at the Asia Elephant & Safari Park which is just back over the mountain going back towards Phuket, opposite the entrance to the Merlin and other resorts.

Are there any nice Thai food restaurants near my hotel? - there is one beach restaurant immediately to the left of the JWM and several more to the right, two at the end the Tew Son and Ma Ma Greetings being our favourites (especially at sunset!)

Is there a place where i could get a foot massage nearby? - there are also several massage places both ways on the beach. If you go as far as you can to the left past the Andamania Resort there is a cute little bar perched on the rise adjacent to a creek leading to a lagoon with a boat moored on the lagoon which provides a unique massage parlour.

Bangkok,Thailand
Level Contributor
26 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Info about Khao Lak

Hi TraveLover097,

Your hotel is a fantastic hotel ranked one of the best in Khao Lak, It is just a 10 minute drive from the main area of the city.You can ask the reception of your hotel about renting a car. There are several shops just outside your hotel in the new plaza – Khao Lak village. Including a restaurant, a supermarket, a tailor and a spa! There isn’t really a zoo in Khao Lak but you could take your son to the Khao Lak elephant camp.

Hope you have a nice time!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Info about Khao Lak

The Khao Lak Elephant Camp also has a snake and monkey show and parades a baby elephant through Khao Lak "begging" for photo opportunities. Judge for yourself if you think that is appropriate for your son.

bangkok
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Info about Khao Lak

Your hotel is a brilliant hotel, you can tell from the name JW Marriot that it is a 5 star, it is based about 10-20 minutes from the main area of Khao Lak.

You can rent a car from the Khaolak New Car Rent, see http://www.khaolaknewcarrent.com/ for more info

As Travel3sixty said, for a tailor, a supermarket, a spa and a Thai food restaurant you could just go to the new plaza near your hotel!

As for your son to go to the zoo, i think you should go with Arandora's recommendation and go to the Asia Elephant & Safari Park!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
339 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Info about Khao Lak

Thanks for the help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
339 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Info about Khao Lak

Thanks again, i had a nice time in Khao Lak, we enjoyed it! Yes the hotel was HUGE! , i also visited Khao Lak Village for my needs though didn't get clothes tailored this time, anyway i usually use a tailor back in Bangkok but i wasn't really in Bangkok at all this time.We went to the Asia Elephant & Safari Park and it was pretty far away, but better than nothing!

7. Re: Info about Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2012, 10:49