We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

London, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Hi,

I'm hoping to return to Thailand soon and one of my fondest memories was spending time at Khai Seafood on the beach close to the Royal Bangsak Beach Resort.

Is it still there? I do hope so! Last time I was there he said that business wasn't so good as many of the hotels nearby were doing their best to get people to eat on-site.

Khai and his friends & family were always so lovely and welcoming. Plus the cold beers and delicious food after walking quite a few kms along the beach to get there were well worth the walk.

Anyone been there recently?

Mentioned in this post
Bangsak Beach
Bangsak Beach
92 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Kai and family were still there until the end of the last Wet Season (April/May) Like other beach restaurants last yaer was a struggle as there weren't as many visitors generally.

Kai did say that the land behind him and on which is restaurant is sited was up for sale for a new resort but he hoped to have at least another two years if the site was developed and longer if it wasn't or if he could negotiate something with the new owners.

The Bangsak Village Resort has been extended probably since you were there last so there are a few more customers.

It will be one of the first places we visit when we return at the end of November.

Mentioned in this post
Bangsak Village
Bangsak Village
543 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Mikkeli
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Khai is still there. I came back home yesterday from Bangsak beach... Excellent food, excellent service, excellent place! Go there people! :)

Mentioned in this post
Bangsak Beach
Bangsak Beach
92 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
London, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Thank you both!

I'm actually coming back in the first week of January, so this a great news!

It worries me how many new developments, as well as the amount of land for sale there is along Bangsak Beach. It's a wonderful natural beach for escaping to, I hope it manages to keep that charm.

Mentioned in this post
Bangsak Beach
Bangsak Beach
92 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
London, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Bad news.

I stopped by last week and Khai said that the land has indeed now been sold to make way for a large resort. He thinks this will be their last high season in that location. Khai was trying to work something out with a nearby land owner, so hopefully they'll just be able to relocate. It sounds like that area of the beach is going to be quite a hotspot, so it would be good if he can stay in that area.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Kai said the same in April when the land ws still for sale. Now - another large resort!!! Don't know how they expect to fill them!!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Went down to visit Kai's the other day to find only bare remnants of this great little shack restaurant. Obviously deserted and a lot of the land to the rear cleared so suspected the new develpment was more immininent and Kai had upsticked for pastures new. We then drove on to Rim Lay bt the Le Meridien for lunch and were not disappointed either with the meal or finding out from mutual friends there that Khai had relocated to Pakarang Beach.

We went there yesterday and found him about 200 metres south of Memories Beach Club in the direction of Khuk Khak Beach. However, not many visitors there or at Memories which was surprising but not when Kai told us that about 60% og guests in the Apsaras Resort which was the main source of custom are on All-Inclusive basis so not coming out for meals or drinks. Most are Swiss or Austrian with previous heavy numbers from France no longer going there. So, he says, if this trend continues we may find his stay at Pakarang being short-lived, this High Season oly and then he will try and find somewhere else.

It's a great pity what the effects of these new big resorts in general and the dread All-Inclusive in particular are having on the traditional Mom and Pop businesses throughout Khao Lak.

See pics of Pakarang at https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Rim Lay
Rim Lay
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,470 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Memories Beach Bar
Memories Beach Bar
660 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
rehovot
Level Contributor
46 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

I stayed last week at the Apsaras. i eat my lunch at the hotel. the resones are, first, it is quite away to memories especially when high thigh and its very hot at lunch time .second, the beach bar at the hotel are doing very good thi food and quite cheap. most of apsaras gust are from Poland and they are low cost travelers.

so i think poor kai will have to move again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

So true Alan...The resorts make it so difficult for these little family businesses...

Not to mention the poor fishermen at Pakarang who built their huts along Pakarang beach in front of the resorts....Then the 2004 tragedy and naturally the huts were wiped out....The fishermen wanted to rebuild in front of the resorts but the resorts physically kept them away...I was told this situation became quite heated at one stage with the threat of violence....Nasty episode following the tsunami....

Thank goodness,there is a couple still fishing and operating on the south side of the tsunami tower....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

More than a couple Cliff from near the tower with a good few more on the other side of the Cape at north end of Pak Weeb Beach. Apsaras are just finisjing their new Villa complex behind Memories ann next to the Apsaras's own Beach Club, so even more of a squeeze.

See new link for pics at https:/…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Khai Seafood on Bangsak beach still there?

Excellent Pakarang pics Alan....!!....Ching seems to be building a thriving little business in Memories....

I do believe tho' that where the Apsarus villa complex is...There,existed a resort before the tsunami wiped it out....

Can't remember the name of it tho'...??...

Anyway hoping Ching and his family are kept safe and clear from the huge developers....

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak