we're staying two weeks at Merlin during Christmas, 'only visited Khao Lak briefly from Phuket before. After some research, these are the excursions I'm considering (already after great help from Arandora):
- Similan islands (never been there; what questions should I be asking?)
- Kayaking along the “little amazon”, Takua Pa
- Green water rafting, Tab Lamu
- Snorkeling the Khao Na Yak Reef (live coral or dead after the tsunami? Any land/islands there at all or only snorkeling ffrom the boat? How good snorkelling relative to e.g. Phi Phi?)
- Are there any beautiful temples close by (or should we go to Wat Bang Riang; how long would that take by taxi?)
- Is Takua Pa Old Town Sunday market worth a visit?
- Probably two waterfall excursions (the kids still love them), but which ones? Not too far by car, not too far too walk (like 30 minutes); fun and perhaps a pool but still reasonably safe for 12-14 year olds that are NOT EVER careful
- Rent a small sailing boat
- Elephants: The kids still have a limited interest in riding elephants but like hanging out with them (especially the young ellies, of course), feeding them, bathing them etc. even more. Are there elephant farms more of that kind?
Given that we like these kinds of activities, are there other obvious similar possibilities that I have missed? Thanks for any info!