We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

Southend on sea
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

Hi, I am coming to stay at the Khao Lak Riverside Resort in November and would like to travel from Bangkok by train (ideally a sleeper) and bus rather than fly. Is this a bad idea ? If it isn't, can you advise me on the best way to do it ?

Many thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

First, why do you want to come to Khao Lak by road and rail? Is it cost, as it will be cheaper than flying from Bangkok to Phuket then by taxi to Khao Lak, which is by far the most popular way, but depending on which airline you choose perhaps not as much cheaper as you may think?

Is it perhaps because you think you will enjoy magnificent views through beautiful countryside, again that is not necessarily the case. The train from Bangkok to Surat Thani is overnight and is not the Orient Express. It is a local train with 3 classes. From Surat Thani to Khao Lak by road, either by public bus, mini-bus or taxi, is a long drive albeit with some lovely views.

In total it will take you upto about 12 hours. Flight from Bangkok to Phuket is about 75 minutes, then taxi from the airport to the Riverside about the same.

So I don't think rail/road is a bad idea but IMO it is not the best way, particularly if you have a fair amount of luggage with you.

Flights from Bangkok are with AirAsia (like RyanAir - but better!), Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways, both scheduled airlines and more expensive. Nok Air is a good value alternative but flies from the old Don Mueang airport so requires a transfer to there by taxi.

Taxi from Phuket to the Riverside will cost 1000 baht each way with Khao Lak based Cheaper than Hotel Taxis on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

For November my airasia ticket cost was really cheap1400bht, taxi are definitively getting more expensive than flights, and that is a nonsense. There should be a minivan shared service, even the extra expensive Samui airport has one....

And one third of the cost was extra baggage fee, they tend to charge a lot for every part of excessive kilos so better stay large....airplanes are brand new airbus, so new you can only hope the testing was done right...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

IMO you'd be exhausted by the time you arrive, and what's the point of that? Grab a cheap flight to Phuket with Air Asia, or Nok Air.

Southend on sea
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

Thanks everyone for your good advice.

Yes - I had thought that the sleeper train would be a fun experience and would allow me to see more of the country.

Also after spending a lot of time on planes for the rest of my travels, I thought it might make a pleasant change.

However, it sounds like I am setting myself up for an exhausting experience, when I could just spend the time on the beach !

Many thanks again for your guidance.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

Better getting to the beach, having a massage, a cold beer, a sleep - jet lag, what jet lag!!!!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,061 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

If you want to cut costs and are arriving into Phuket airport at a reasonable hour you can easily get a bus to Khao Lak.

From the airport you can get the shuttle that goes to Phuket town but tell them you want to catch the Takuapa bus and they will drop you off at a bus stop along the main road. The bus passes by every hour and will drop you off anywhere along the main road in Khao Lak. This will cost you maximum 200 baht per person.

Khaolak, Phangnga...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

you can check Bangkok airways now 2,900 Baht round trip

8. Re: Getting to Khao Lak from Bangkok by train & bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 07:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations