We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

similans or surins?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
similans or surins?

We are going to Khao Lak mid December and after reading through this forum and others, I am even more confused about which islands would be better for a 2 night 3 day snorkeling trip. I thought the Surins were better for snorkeling but read the coral bleaching was significant and that there aren't as many fish as before. I also saw that the currents are stronger and the water clarity is less than the similans. It seems the similans are closer to Khao Lak and has the added benefit of allowing my husband to possibly jump on another boat and do a dive. We are looking at Wicked Diving's snorkel trip to the Surins or Poseidon's to the Similans. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: similans or surins?

Opinions vary about the Similans and the Surins but they are both great sites. Reaching them from their respective departure piers involves a similar length speedboat trip (if you are talking of staying on the islands) or liveaboard (if you want to stay on board a slower boat). It is though only 20 minutes or so to Tab Lamu the main departure for the Similan speedboats, but liveaboards go from here too, as opposed to Kuraburi the departure pier for the Surins which is about 75 minutes from Khao Lak. Just an earlier start or later return. Time at the dive/snorkel sites is about the same.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: similans or surins?

the coral bleaching has affected both sites quite significantly.

we snorkelled both the similans and surins in april this year

the visual scenery at the similans was great, the snorkelling not so..

the surins were much better, clearer, more fish and coral.

suggest you post another question a week or so before you go as both sites will have been reopened for 5 weeks or so..

you will get a more "real time "feel for what both sites are like.

Enjoy, i'm sure you will...

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: similans or surins?

I agree with procol. Snorkelling is much better at the Surin islands. They are also much less crowded.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,191 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: similans or surins?

Thank you all for your input. At the moment, we are considering skipping the liveaboard so my husband (the diver) and I (the snorkeler) can both be happy. We plan to do one day in the Surrins, one in the Similans and then decide if/what we'll do on the third. We'll also be spending a few days in Khao Sok in between so we won't get too water logged. I'd appreciate any other advice on our plans including companies that you like for these tours and whether you think we're crazy to take so many long boat rides.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: similans or surins?

Another option is to join a new tour - see Andaman Snorkel Discovery at www.andamansnorkeldiscovery.com/index.html - a brand new purpose built liveaboard boat commissioned by an experienced local German operator.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
6. Re: similans or surins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 19:47