We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

lanarkshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
170 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

We have been offered choice of Merlin resort /LaFlora or Kantary beach hotels for march/april next year, We do not like isolated hotels but somewhere you can go out and about in easy reach of restaurants etc any advice please

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,847 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

hi the la flora is probably your best option.they are all good hotels but,the la flora which is beach front in bang niang has restaurants ,bars etc all within walking distance.

nb1

lanarkshire
Level Contributor
7 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

thanks for the speedy reply nb1 I take it the other two do not have much around them?

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

hi,the kantary has 3 or 4 beach restaurants and the merlin has a bit more but by far the most restaurants etc. are in bang niang and bang la on.

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

hi again ,if you decide on something a bit more remote there will always be hotel shuttles into town at about 100 baht per way per person or a taxi for about 300 baht (approx. £6 ) per way into town.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

Have a look at the Ramada next door to the La Flora too.

Mentioned in this post
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
412 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

My son,who works inlooking at Hong Kong has just booked the Ramada for next week but we were looking at La Flora. Ramada has a much better rating on TA.Is it much better? Nicer rooms pool etc? Any difference in distance from local restaurants shops?

All advice would be much appreciated as we want to book tomorrow

Mentioned in this post
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

The two are next door to each other and share the widest and probably best frontage of Bang Niang Beach with easy access to surrounding restaurants and shops. The la Fora is traditional Thai style whereas the Ramada is pseudo Japanese.

If you are going at the same time as your son you should be aware of the recent comments at post #10 on this link tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
412 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

Thanks for your reply,we are not going until early December but my son is going on Friday.He has a wife and seven month old baby so I don't think he will be too worried about Sassi's being closed. I expect they will want to try local restaurants and bars anyway but thanks for the link which I will pass on to my son in Hong Kong.

I think we will go ahead and book La Flora as Cathy Pacific have a good offer on at the moment.

Mentioned in this post
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

I'm sure you will enjoy it and if early December means you are there on 5th it is the King's Birthday and La Flora being owned by members of the Royal Family puts a great show on all day. I'll be there gatecrashing again. LOL

Mentioned in this post
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,134 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
10. Re: Going to Khao lak for the first time,need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 00:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak