We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak at the end of October

Johannesburg, South...
9 posts
Save Topic
Khao Lak at the end of October

Hi All,

I want to go away with my partner for a couple of weeks at the end of October. We were looking at spending a few days in Bangkok and then maybe trying to get an island hopping trip for a 3/4 days from Phuket. Finally ending with a week in the Sarojin at Khao Lak. The hotel looks amazing, but we are looking for some sun. Would we be better off going further south to catch better weather or is it all much of a muchness.

Are there any good island trips etc we could do from Khao Lak, I know the Similian islands are closed, would other things we closed as well?

We want to get to Phi Phi and possibly the James Bond islands, although this is def open for debate (I assume the best place to do this is from Phuket). Please let me know of any good tour operators for the island hopping trips as well.

Any recommendations on whether the proposed itinerary is any good would be appreciated. I have been to the Gulf of Thailand side before (Koh Samuai and Koh Tao) so am looking for somewhere new.

Finally my partner does not swim, she is happy to get in the water with life jacket/noodle etc would this mean we cannot go on any of the trips?

Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phi Phi Hotel
Phi Phi Hotel
952 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

October on the Andaman seaboard is very much the same - the last month and on average the second wettest month of the Wet Season. So you should expect rain but there should also be sun. Going further south won't improve those prospects.

The Sarojin is an excellent resort with great, but expensive, tour and activity options tailored to the season. Although the Similan and Surin Islands will be closed you can still go north about an hour to the beautiful Khao Sok National Park and Cheow Lan Lake just an hour further.

See this recent link if you haven't already tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… and pics at https:/…

You could also enjoy the Little Amazon Tour . See tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Both the tour companies featured in these links offer other tours, including to Phang Nga Bay, just as accessible from Khao Lak as Phuket, and where you will find that although James Bond Island may be the most famous it is not the most memorable. Combine it with a visit to the Monkey Temple and you have a great day out. See pics at https:/…

You can also go to Phi Phi from Khao Lak. Most local tour operators offer it and in October you should get really competitive prices.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,191 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,130 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
The Little Amazon
The Little Amazon
65 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,597 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
James Bond Island
James Bond Island
3,199 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Johannesburg, South...
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

thanks very much for all of the info and the links.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

the Gulf will be at the beginning of its rainy season so the weather will probably be similar.

The end of October could be okay as things usually start to clear up by then. But the weather is of course unpredicctable so there are no guarantees.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

we too are looking at staying at the Sarojin for last week in October, first week in November. I have just seen in your post that the Similan Islands are closed, I have been searching the internet to find out more but can't find anything about this. We are divers so obviously this would seriusly effect our holiday plans if we were unable to dive. Can you give me some more info on this please?

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

The Koh Similans National Park Authority closes the Similans annually between 1st May and the 1st November annually for maintenance and to allow the corals to recover and due to unfavourable sea conditions - see http://www.similans.net/ So no trips are allowed out to them.

However, there are dive trips to other sites and you should contact the varios Dive Centres to see what is on offer. See this recent thread for links to list of Dive Centres and their websites tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

I don't want to ruin your plans but if you are a diver and it's important that you can dive during your holiday then I would give Thailand a miss in October/beginning November.

Mentioned in this post
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

Must disagree with Chrella there ARE dive opportunities from Khao Lak at the period ladybirdseahorse is considering. Better to contact the Dive Centres as previiously advised to obtain the latest informed advice before committing yourself one way or the other.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
8. Re: Khao Lak at the end of October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 12:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak