We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike hire

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
bike hire

Hi, My H and i wouldnt hire motorbikes in phuket, way to dangerous!! but had a hilarious time in Koh samui descovering the island on a small bike!! How is it in Khao Lak? are the roads safe, quiet etc, not too dangerous? We would love to go from Ramada resort and descover the beaches around the meridian are (bangsak). Any recs on who to hire from if its safe to do so.

Thanks

Donna

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: bike hire

"Small bike." Are you talking about a bicycle or a small motor cycle?

If it's a bicycle you can hire one at the Ramada or the green Bike Club in Bang Niang.

However, if it is a motor cycle/scooter then there are any number of places in Bang Niang or Bang La On where you can hire one. As to which to recommend, since I wouldn't recommend motor cycle hire for all the same reasons you were advised about on the Phuket Forum, sorry I can't help. Also you still need the legal requirements of an International Driving Permit which must show that the licenced person has a motor cycle licence in his/her own country. Failure to have this will invalidate any insurance that "may" be included in the bike hire and in any claim on your own insurance should it arise. No doubt, as in Koh Samui and other places, you will be hired a bike "no questions asked" and if you are lucky you will again have a fun time. If you are not lucky, you and innocent third parties are very much at risk of dire consequences.

Although not as frenetic as Patong or Phuket Town, Khao Lak nevertheless has its fair share of accidents, including fatalities every year and as it is basically a linear destination, that is the main places you would go are on either side of a main highway (the second main highway in Thailand) which is very busy with fast through traffic.

Take care whatever you do.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: bike hire

Hi Donna,

Ditto what Arandora says...However,adding that there is a motorcycle rental place about 80 meters from the Ramada main entrance....up the road(only one road)

You'll most likely see a portly Englishman sitting on the shops front porch all day watching life go by.....This is where I rented a scooter from....

Unlike places in Patong that will not accept a fofocopy of your passport...This place will...

His prices are 200 baht per day and you must return the bike with a full tank of gas....

Or you can rent the bike for a week and pay for 6 days rental....1200 baht and return the bike with a full tank.....

The cheapest and closest gas is at the service station at Khuk Khak which is about 10-15 north of the Ramada on the highway....Otherwise there are gas stations on the other side of the hill going south...

Please do be careful and always stay in the bike lane as often as possible...

As Arandora says..Khao Lak is not as busy as Phuket,however the highway can become a maniacs dragstrip at times....

Always use your peripheral vision and notice the roads and offroad can be quite pot holey and rough in places....Off road meaning Bang Niang markets and some off roads off the highway...Tho' the highway is in good nick...

It's the only way I travel around Khao Lak and I love it...!!

Like your new pic A....!!

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: bike hire

Pushbikes are complimentary at Ramada.......just ask the staff at reception.

Its a good way to have a look around Bang Niang.

BUT, hiring a scooter is much easier IMHO.

Food for thought

Specz

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
266 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: bike hire

sorry for not getting back sooner, very busy at work!!

Thanks everyone for your veiws and advice. very helpful, thank you.

Does anyone know how long it would take to cycle on a push bike up to bangsak beach? is it a nice ride (cant do hard work riding!!).

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: bike hire

Well from Ramada to Le Meridien is about 20 minutes on a scooter.....

So,Maybe an hour or more to Bangsak on a pushy....!!??...And it would be tough going in the heat of the sun....Take some water for hydration....

I personally wouldn't attempt to ride the pushy from Ramada to Bangsak....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: bike hire

Why Bang Sak Beach, as a matter of interest?

It is a straight road until you get to the turn off to Bang Sak Promenade but it is also the fastest stretch and totally exposed. Unless you are super fit or want to take all day over it, it will be a pretty tough ride. Pak Weeb Beach is nearer and nicer with more places on it to visit. Even so that is still a long ride. Not that expensive to get a sang thaew (truck/taxi).

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
7. Re: bike hire

it wouldnt be my idea of a fun time ,riding a bicycle in 40 centigrade heat, your spose to be chillin out not torturing yourself

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
8. Re: bike hire

Hi Donna,

I have cycled around Khao Lak to the LM it took me 50 minutes and its an extra 30 to Bangsak promenade. I cycle at home 25 miles per day but in the thai heat it is a different experience it really drains you. There are plenty of road side places to stop for a rest and refreshment but I always made sure I was back before darkness i would not want to be on route 4 then without lights.

Julie

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
146 reviews
9. Re: bike hire

hi donna

we often used the pushbikes when staying at the ramada.

great to get around in the local area, even down to nangthong with the main strip of shops , beaches etc, but only in the day time...... that was it .

also rented a motor cycle from michael , the expanding british chap.

bikes were in good shape.

you then can explore both ways up and down the coast to the different beaches etc with at least some comfort and maybe a litte more safety.

on the ride up to bangsak beach not only did you need a mirror but eyes in the back of your head.

overtaking at high speeds is done at the craziest times , so a pushbike would have been a very draining and dangerous experience...

10. Re: bike hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 03:46