We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help needed with accomodation please....

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
99 reviews
help needed with accomodation please....

hi there fellow TA members and experts, I am hoping I can gain some help with finding the right accomodation for my needs....

my wife and I will be looking to go khao lak in november and looking for the right type of accomodation.....we have stayed at la flora a couple of years ago and enjoyed it there....this time we are looking for something slightly different....I have considered the ramada and also the le meridien.

I have read there are a few restaurants nearby the meridien, however, having stayed at la flora, understand there are more dining options near ramada....might even go back to la flora in a pool access room.....

this is my dilemma.....pool access room at la flora, a nice pool villa at ramada or a room above the spa wing at meridien....

budget is not an issue at present, as i have saved approx £4500 for the trip for both of us (for flight and acocmodation)

if anyone can advise and help out, please do so as I feel I am not getting anywhere.....the only thing which is keeping me away from booking the meridien at present is the lack of nearby restaurants / choice nearby to dine outside the hotel....however, as they have huge pools, this looks a great choice.....we do love spending time near the pool or beach

my wife and I like to spend lots of time around the resort...we have been thailand 6 times before and done all the trips we needed, we now love to visit to just chill and get away from it all.....

hoping someone can help shed some light for me..thanks for reading.

kind regards

sants

Edited: 19 June 2011, 21:05
norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

hi,for the cost of a shuttle ride or a taxi fare of 200 or 300 baht per way i personally would plump for the le meridien.this would also bring the bangsak area closer for the few restaurants near to the haadson resort and also a stroll round the headland (if the tide is out) for the restaurants on white sand beach.

have you considered the j w marriott a bit remote like the le meridien but has several restaurants on khuk khak beach either side of the resort.it also has this amazing pool system that winds its way round the whole resort;for pool access this would certainly take some beating.

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
99 reviews
2. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

hi norwich blue,

thanks for the reply,. very much appreciated....agree with you on the le meridien re cost of taxi / shuttle service.

have certainly considered the marriott, however was put off on 2 accounts....

some of the pool access rooms are not directly located off the pool, hence you have to walk from the room to the pool and also I have heard the marriott has quite a strict dress policy if dining in the restaurant in the evenings....i.e...no three quarters / jogging bottoms / shorts...these are the kind of things i wear in the evening as i dont look to take trousers or jeans when on holiday...

i have spoke with my wife and we have taken the ramada our of the equation, so leaves marrriott, la flora or the le meridien...

will have a look durther and hopefully make a decision soon....however, thanks so much for your views. i do agree, the marriott's pool is awesome..seems similar to the pool at sheraton hua hin where we stayed a couple of years ago

kind regards

sants

Edited: 19 June 2011, 23:42
norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

hi sants,stayed at the marriott in october 2010 and cannot think of any of the access rooms that did not go straight into the pool either by through a mini garden or from a terrace,but be warned there are very few ladders/ steps out in front of the rooms.

if you go for the le meridien the pool view rooms are the way to go as the ground floor rooms have a tendency to get a bit buggy with all the vegetation around the terrace,what ever you decide i am sure you will enjoy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

Hi Sants,

All the pool access rooms at the JWM in the main wing are ground floor and have direct access to the "river" that flows around and into the main pool. So you can swim or paddle into the main pool, to the swim up bar or down nearly to the beach. For November you should be able to select one and ensure this when you book. In my view the JWM has more character than the Sheraton, Krabi.

As for dress code, although we haven't stayed there we have had dinner and the dress code was the same as the Le M where we have stayed and the Ramada and La Flora where we also dine when in KL and that is "smart but casual". The main "no, no" for dinner which is the same in all 4* or 5* resorts AFAIK is no beach wear ()beach shorts, vests, swimming costumes etc.) Like you I don't wear any long trousers in the 5 months we are in KL.

However, with the budget you have mentioned all of the top resorts (with possible exception of the new 5* Casa de la Flora - same ownership as La Flora and just up the beach from it next door to the Ayara Villas - and the 5* Sarojin, unless they have good deals on) are open to you.

Undoubtedly Le M is in the best location on Pak Weeb Beach. By room above the Spa Pool, do you mean a De-luxe Pool View Room? In which case, the best ones are top floor centre looking out to sea. Great for that G&T at sunset!

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
5. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

Hi,

The Le Meridien is one of my favourite hotels in Khao Lak as well as being on the best part of Pakweeb beach. I have always had top floor overlooking the Le Spa Pool the best rooms are central as mentioned by Arandora you want 356 to 366. It is a fantastic hotel to just chill and relax. Apart from the handful of restaurants in walking distance along the beach and outside on the highway the hotels retaurants are very good of which you have a choice of six. The pool areas are indeed huge in beautiful grounds. I have never found the location of this hotel to be a drawback as the hotel offers a shuttle in the evenings into Khao Lak for other dining options and taxis are readily available and inexpensive around 300 bht.

Julie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

I have stayed at both LeM and the Marriot and I would have to say, I would probably go back to the Marriot.

As for the strict dining code, trust me, it doesn't exist! My hubby had shorts and thongs every night, not a problem.

As for the pool access rooms, some wings don't access straight into the pool but if you contact the resort directly and put in a request they will be able to note down your room choice. We emailed Yuki on several occasions, and she put us in a fabulous pool access room right at the end of Wing 4, which had direct access.

Steph

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

hello all fellow TA members,

my apologies for not being able to reply earlier..I have been away with no access to the internet...scary thought !!!

still in limbo as the mrs wants to go la flora in a pool access room and I am considering the le meridien !!!!

im sure we will decide very soon.

just wanted to say thanks so much for all your contributions and updates....hope the booking gets done quite soon though, so we have something to look forward to.

kind regards

thanks

sants

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

Hi sants

Just an idea for you to consider....if you have enough time why don't you go 50/50 and split your stay between the 2 resorts you like, best of both worlds :-)

that's what we are doing this year.... too hard to choose LOL

good luck with your choice and i'm sure you will be happy whichever one you choose :-)

Leicester, UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

hi mossy, thanks for your suggestion. thats what I am thinking of doing, however, the wifey doesnt like to unpack, then pack and then unpack again.....she is hard to please !!!! i would like to do 7 nights at le meridien and 7 inights at la flora....best of both worlds...will have to wait and see...should have it booked quite soon though....cant wait to get it sorted now !!!!!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: help needed with accomodation please....

Sant's have you considered the laguna? We are here now, it's very peaceful away from it all but still close enough to centre of khaolak. The beach villas here are lovely and the fifinity pool is near on perfect especially if your not a beach person but enjoy the view. Excellent hotel, free wifi which is a big plus for me n hubby ......from another Leicester lass ;o) ....

Ps we booked through virgin holidays

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak