We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak in July

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Khao Lak in July

We have booked our Honeymoon in khao lak staying at the la flora from the 29th of June until the 17th of July,

i know its the rainy season and we are prepared to see some rain everyday but im just hoping we will see some sun aswell, does anybody know what weather to expect, i know this is a hard question to answer?

I was also hoping someone could give me ideas of things to do if we cant lie on a sunbed all day.

Fingers crossed we have made the right decision for our honeymoon

Ta

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak in July

Hi,

La Flora is a beautiful resort for a honeymoon.

Weather July is right in the middle of the Wet Season, so not only should you expect rain and cloud but with sunny intervals as well, the ocean will be rough and perhaps not the normal beautiful turquoise colour as the sand is stirred up. Here is a link to some of the top things to do around Khao Lak

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g297914-c109161/Kha…

You will have a lovely honeymoon in Khao Lak and I hope the sun shines for you.

Julie

Edited: 27 May 2011, 01:42
AUSTRALIA
Level Contributor
703 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak in July

We will be in Khoa Lak about the same time, not the same place, we were there two years ago same time of year and we were luckily enough to have perfect weather everyday,it only rained at night. So we are hoping we will get the same beautiful weather again. We also swam ever day in the ocean.

We found the national parks were quite wet under foot but it didnt worry us too much.

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak in July

We have spent late July/August for the past two years in Khaolak. 2009 the same time as Kev & Jules, 2010, 3 weeks in August. Last year it rained during the day on two days and in the evening on about three occassions. The rest of the time was perfect, some cloud, but nice hot weather. Hope it will be the same this year.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak in July

To add to the suggestions in nthe FAQs, Khao Sok and in particular Cheow Lan Lake is a wonderful place to visit at any time but in Wet Season when the rivers are running fuller, a canoe trip as part of an Ellie trekking, river ride, visit to Lake tour (either one day or overnight) can be even better. You can book from tour shops around you in Bang Niang or try these:

Green Andaman Travel (local experienced guide) Contact Noi at http://greenandamantravel.com/

Khao Lak Land Discovery at www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/bookings.php

Limestone Lake Tours at http://www.limestonelaketours.com/

Mathilde of Khao Sok Exploer at http://khao-sok-explorer.e-monsite.com/ (I'd particularly recommend an overnifght stay at the Baan Khoa Sok in a tree top house booked through them and trip up to the Lake)

Boss at Cheaper than Hotel Taxis for this and other tours say down to Phang Nga Bay (MUCH more than James Bond Isaland!) on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak in July

Thanks for all your replys guys, made me feel a bit better, I absolutely love Thailand so I'm sure we will have a great time.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak in July

Hi Dan,This might brighten your day...!!....We have just returned from 3 weeks in Khao Lak during May....The first 3 days was absolute monsoonal...Incessant rain,wind and black clouds with barely a break...However the next 18 days were absolutely wonderful blue,sunny and gentle sea breezes with the odd shower at night....

Can't say the same for July and August(Tanmar)....But having hung around with the local surfing tribes....You can bet after a string of wonderful weather,there will be monsoons which will see a rise in swell and when the monsoon breaks...Fine weather prevails....!!...Sorry...Can't supply dates when the monsoons will strike...!!??...Tho' a week by week indication can be seen on Magicseaweed.com....Swell forecasts are not totally accurate but the weather forecasts are not far wrong...

Have fun in June Kev & Jules and Tanmar too in August....!!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
211 posts
7. Re: Khao Lak in July

The weather in July is in the starting wet season..... However, you will obviously see sun during your days there.... Not much worry for the weather much....njoy ur trip here ;)

Russia
9 posts
8. Re: Khao Lak in July

Dear Khao Lak experts,

In addition, could you advise your comments on ocean conditions for period end of July - first decade of August ? Would it be possible to swim for children in shallow water on nang thong beach, for example?

We plan to stay in Khao Lak for 2 weeks and slightly concern about windy weather in this period.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Khao Lak in July

You should be careful about swimming at any time during the wet season due to currents and rip tides as well as heavy waves.You should stay inshore and don'yt leave young children unattended. There are no lifeguards on Nang Thong Beach.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
10. Re: Khao Lak in July

Hi Serg,

Ocean conditions and surf in Khao Lak is just like any other country in the world with an oceanic coastline...Khao Lak might have waves whilst you are there or maybe not...!!??...

Usually after a high wind and rain monsoonal.storm,wave size increase....

When the monsoon breaks and there is fine weather,there are still highish waves to be found,and on Nang Thong Beach as you asked.....These waves could happen for another week after monsoon depending on strength of swell....

if the swell is very low,it is safe to swim at Nang Thong tho' be aware that there is a tidal rip on the north side of the lighthouse rocks when the tide is receding.....

Surf is just like the weather...Almost impossible to predict more than a week ahead....

Otherwise I am sure the kiddies will love the hotel/resort pool....

The monsoon season is surf season approximately between May and October....

Sorry..??..I am not understanding first decade of August...??...

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak