We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

I arrived from Rawai Phuket in the middle of a tropical storm dripping puddles on the floor and enquired about a room at the FX Resort. In the past I had walked past here many times and often thought that it looked a nice place to stay. It is just behind the Chong Fah resort and was formerly the Bang Niang Beach Resort with hotel section and seperate bungalows.The staff were friendly and the owners are hands on showing me to a lovely spacious room which would have slept a family as room for 4 people if a bed on the sofa is made up I even had a pick of beds a king or a single that was more like a double.I was also shown a bungalow which was just as big and beautiful.Breakfast was included and very good. I spent the next few days until my sister joined me enjoying the pools you have a choice of two and going to the beach my favourite part is the quieter north end near the creek and crossing over to the Sunset Bar for their amazing fruit shakes. I have always liked Bang Niang for the beach scene and many of my favourite restaurants are here and it is also nice to have a good choice of shops and of course the market. on a monday, wednesday and saturday. It was lovely to meet up with Sandy and John at the TA get together a good night was had by all and luckily it stopped raining by the time I set out. The next day I met my sister and we had lazy days at the Sunset Bar and one of my best meals this year was here the food was superb and the entertainment was provided by my sister dancing on the podium while i cringed under the table lol. We also ate in the FX Resort restaurant and had a fabulous meal here and they often do specials it is well worth a visit the Chicken A La Creme with Fettuchini Pasta was amazing. We also went to Fizz Bistro , Candle, Hill Tribes, Lobster Seafood, Mali, Smile . Khao Lak has so many good restaurants I think all deserve praise. We loved our time at the FX Resort it is a very nice place to stay. hotel photo's

www.photobox.co.uk/album/741029024

Will also do a full hotel review

I also had a look at their other hotel the Fanari Beach Resort and Spa which was also lovely and beach front hotel in Bang Niang pics

www.photobox.co.uk/album/741176234

Care does need to be taken when crossing the creeks at the beach as my sister found out one day. Could have been dangerous for a small child.

www.youtube.com/watch…

My next stop was at the Kantary Beach Hotel at Pakweeb my favourite beach. As I am used to smaller or thai style hotels this at first needed to grow on me. I was lucky to have a beach front bungalow near to the Sarojin with sea views. Everything here is still new. It was nice that the on site shop had reasonable prices for drinks as there was nothing else in walking distance. It was fairly quiet here and the pools are nice especially the pool with the swim up bar.Obviously more hotels more sun beds on the beach but it is still a beautiful spot with my favourite restaurant The Boatyard a short walk away. The food here was as good as ever .I also had a meal in the hotel due to heavy rain which was good and the price was reasonable no complaints. For anybody staying there its a good menu and not expensive. They have a great cake selection and do a really good breakfast buffet. hotel pics

www.photobox.co.uk/album/745190763

hotel review to follow

I enjoyed splitting my time in Khao Lak although only 15 minutes away as it gave me the freedom to stay in a more built up area in Bang Niang with plenty of shops, restaurants, bars as well as being in a quieter location at Pakweeb with the brilliant beach restaurants Boatyard, Rimlay and Ma Ma Leks. Roll on November when I return.

Julie

central coast...
Level Contributor
277 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Great jbr. We love reading about khao lak as we are also heading there in November for our honeymoon. It will be our first time to khao lak and we are also thinking of staying in bang niang.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Great jbr. On my last visit I stayed at the Ayara Villas and used to pass the FX . I am in the process of looking for our next hotel and the FX looks ideal especialy the pool access rooms. If I went for a bungalow are they all central round the pool area as they look lovely.?Apart from a few reviews there is not much info . Would you go back and which room would you book?

Cheers

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Hi Julie,

Great report and pics.

Sorry we missed you. I was knocking on "your" bungalow door at the Cousin until I found out you were at the FX. LOL Didn't realise they had a podium at the Sunset Bar. We're much too old for that type of thing. :-)

Alan

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Chicky29,

First of all yes I will go back to the FX Resort and would be happy in going back. My room choice having stayed would be either for a pool access or top floor room in hotel side. In the bungalow section they are not all around the pool area some are in a garden area but you are only a few strides from the pool where ever you are.It is very peaceful and tranquil in the bungalows the garden and pool area are beautiful. You can use either pool and the hotel provided in your room pool towells. The hotels breakfast buffet was good with plenty of choice. I highly recommend the FX Resort and also the Fanari Beach which is smaller and more boutique.

Julie

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Hi Alan,

The podium was set up for his children to entertain the diners to a bit of Bob Marley. It turned into one opf those nights that was great fun with some lovely interesting people. We had more fun getting back as we went in the light so did not think torch lol.

Julie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Thanks Julie,A really interesting report...with great pics and funny vid,tho' like your sister said...She felt stoopid...!!...Which could have been tragic for a little kid in this situation....

However,you have enlightened me to the Bang Niang experience..Been there but never stayed there but will certainly learn more about for sure....

Great report...!!....Wishing for some nice Andaman swells.....

Will be there next Friday....

Newcastle upon...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Enjoyed your report especially as I am looking at the FX Resort so it was great to see some good photo's it looks really nice . I am now down to 2 choices this or the Riverside if anyone has any info on the latter would be great to hear.

p.s Enjoyed the video clip its so funny

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Hi Geordie...We leave today for Khao Lak....

We are staying at Khao Lak Riverside for 3 weeks......If I can,I'll try to keep updates on Riverside,Bang Niang and Khao Lak in general....

Italy
Level Contributor
39,683 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Thanks, great report and photos, will look into the FX resort for our future trip.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: JBR FX Resort in Bang Niang and Kantary Beach Pakweeb

Hi Cocotang,

Have a lovely time and I hope you have some good andaman swells.

Julie

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations