We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling or ocean tour

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling or ocean tour

hi all, we are currently at jw marriott till this coming friday and are looking to take a tour out to one of the islands. thinking about a full day tour with some snorkeling or such? is now a good time to do this and who would you recommend. many thanks in advance for your recommendations. we got a bit confused with all the vendors last night in town and are looking for something small but nice.

cheers,

debra

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling or ocean tour

hi debra,

we were recently in khao lak and did 2 separate day tours

day trip 1 was to the similans { see trip report posted april 7 }

not a lot of snorkelling and a lot of time on the beach .too much......

day trip 2 was to the surins.

much better if you want to primarily go to snorkel.

much better corals and up to 4 snorkel stops, even with a good 30 minutes plus on the beach after lunch.

it is a long day as it takes more time to reach the departure pier, but the drive there and back was great, scenic wise...

just make sure you book to go with kuraburi greenview.

our little tour shop person was sent to tachai island to see for herself what the day tour was like.

quite strong currents so you would need to be good swimmers.

she had trouble getting back on board.

apparently a nice place though with very few people.

hope this helps

procol

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling or ocean tour

Hi ,

My favourite is Surin Islands with Kuraburi Greenview which is a fantastic day out and the crew of Kuraburi are very good and helpful .

Julie

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,189 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kuraburi Greenview Resort
Kuraburi Greenview Resort
119 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling or ocean tour

If you just want to snorkel then Surins has the edge. If you also want to spend some time on a powdery white beach with crystal clear water and some time on land then the Similans or the less busy but in my view more beautiful Koh Tachai - see tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… for my trip report from last December. I can thoroughly recommend SeaStar for this tour and for Similans. Fantastic Similans is a fun day out - run by owners of Moo Moo's Ladyboy Cabaret Show.

Mentioned in this post
Seastar
Seastar
198 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling or ocean tour

thanks all for your responses. much appreciated :)

debra

5. Re: snorkeling or ocean tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 15:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak