We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

My Husband and i are looking at a beach bum holiday for August tis year. I was looking at the Orchid as it has great reviews and i want something that is on the beach but secluded. I now believe that the Orchid will be closed for reno's during August.

Can anyone suggest an alternative. The rate of $60 AUD a night was perfect for us so anything in that price range would be great.

We didnt mind getting a shuttle into the main town when we wanted to, but mainly looking for something that is nice, quiet, and with a beach/pool that isnt overrun with people.

Thanks so much in advance.

Elise

Elise

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

Hi Elise,

Yes, Orchid is closing from May to end October for refurb. However, in August I don't think you need be concerned that the pool at any resort will be overrun with people. It's the Wet or Low Season so will be generally quiet but you should get rates often less than half of High Season prices.

Here are some properties for your consideration that may come within your price range but $60 will be hard to match for a similar property, especially beachfront and secluded.

Nang Thong Beach - Laguna Resort, Baan Khao Lak Resort, Sea View Resort, Nang Thong Bay/Beach Resorts (highly recommended), Bhandari Resort, Oriental Resort, La-Own Resort (most secluded)

Khuk Khak Beach - Andamania (just up from Orchid Beach)

Khao Lak South Beach - Emerald, Briza, Luckanawadee (if open may get a great rate for a small boutique resort)

Have a look at these links for more information on location and prices:

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/

http://khaolak.de/

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
146 reviews
2. Re: Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

Hi Elise,

been here about a week and have sussed out pretty well every place that i thought we might like to stay.and that was a lot of places

great suggestions from arandora..

if it were me ii would me more than happy with nangthong beach resort

www.nangthong2.com

{its on the very short list for next year..}

nice and out of the way , easy access to the main restaurant strip and a very attractive place.

not the hotel block style but stand alone bungalow buildings

it was quiet today so when you are going would just about perfect.

1500 baht for a beachfront bungalow, thats $ 50 of our dollars,

great value..!!!

well thats my 2 cents worth, i'd stay there easily..

procol

Edited: 07 April 2011, 16:28
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
3. Re: Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

Thank you both very much.

You have both certainly pointed me in the right direction. I think i now have a short list of Nang Thong Bay/Beach Resorts or Merlin Resort.

The three of them all have their pro's and cons.

Decisions, decisions.....

Thanks again for your help - i cant wait to get there.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

Hi elise

we stayed at Merlin last year and going back this year in Sept (pool access rooms) we loved it there and chose it because we stay at Merlin Beach Resort in Patong and love that too, but this one is even better than MBR, there are some good restaurants, bars, small shops etc just outside the resort, beach massage and beach bar/dining (and were open last low season when we went) but it is a 10 min 150bhat taxi ride into the main town for more dining, bars and shopping options, didn't bother us it is a nice ride in,

also it will be more expensive than Nang thong Bay/Beach Resorts so depends on your budget? you do need to get the deluxe or pool access rooms for best room types and location

NTB is in a good central location for lots of dining,shops etc within walking distance, and their beach bungalows look great at 1500bhat night... bargain :-)

good luck with your planning

5. Re: Alterntaive to the Orchid Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 03:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak